Discuss Suspected interference on sky box rf2 channel 68 output to second tv in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
"Hello All",

I have a problem with bad interference on the reception of my Home`s TV`s that are connected to Sky Digiboxes in other rooms via satellite quality co-ax cables [Sky Box RF2 output] - this has just started yesterday and the Sky TV is un-watchable on these TV sets.

The affected TV`s have been wired to the Sky Boxes for over 10 Years with perfect reception from the RF2 output - they are on separate cables.

I can only assume that this is being caused by something interfering with the Sky Box RF2 Channel 68 signal to the satellite quality co-ax type cables that run underfloor from these TV`s to the Sky Digiboxes [4G Mobile Phone Transmission signals ?] - or perhaps the interference is being picked up by the Cables themselves ?

There is no interference on the Sky reception on the TV`s that are directly connected to the Digiboxes via Scart leads.

I remember this problem coming up on a Forum either on here or on one of the TV / Freeview / Satellite Forums that I was looking at some time ago when I had BIG Problems with my Home`s Freeview reception immediately after the Digital TV Switchover in London.

I think that the `Expert Advice` was to change the Sky Digiboxes RF2 Output Channel away from Channel 68 - ?

Having looked at how to do this on the Sky Boxes I need to know what Channel to retune the RF2 Output to - I live very close to the Crystal Palace TV Transmitter Tower so I need to avoid selecting a Channel which is `within an existing multiplex` - BUT obviously one that is NOT receiving the Interference that I THINK Channel 68 is getting.

Can Members suggest a Channel to try this on that is not within a Multiplex that broadcasts other Channels from the Crystal Palace Transmitter - ?

When I turn off the Sky Boxes I can still see the Lines of Interference across the TV Screens - does that suggest that it is the Cables between the Sky Boxes and the Secondary TV`s that is `receiving` this Interference ?

IF that is the case perhaps what I intend to TRY - changing the Sky Boxes RF2 Output Channels will NOT stop the Interference - ?

I would really appreciate some help with this please.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, it is not interference, nor coax connections....this common fault with Amstrad boxes. Fault caused by power supply caps on their way out. Either new box or psu repair kit

"Hello again",

I have been trying to find out about a suitable alternative Channel to CH 68 on the Internet - no luck so far although I have found plenty on the subject of having to retune the Sky Boxes RF2 Channel 68 Output the articles all state `find a suitable channel for your area that is not within an existing multiplex` - but I cannot find out which Channel is suitable for the S.E. London area.

I have found a London area TV Transmitter / Channels Chart from Ofcom here:

UK Television Reception Advice

but although Crystal Palace is highlighted I also note that other areas of London seem to be already using Channel 68 for receiving Channels that are NOT Sky.

I don`t know for example whether there are Channels from 33 to 68 - on EVERY Number - e.g. is there a Channel 50 - ?

IF there are Channels on every number between 33 and 68 would I just have to look to find a Channel number on this Chart that is NOT being used by another London area to receive a Freeview Channel [or a multiplex ?] ?

I apologise if my terminology is poor.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, it is not interference, nor coax connections....this common fault with Amstrad boxes. Fault caused by power supply caps on their way out. Either new box or psu repair kit

"Hello Tazz",

Thanks for your reply - sorry that I did not see it until after I posted my second message above I was typing that out when You replied.

I am assuming that You mean something is wrong with the Power Supply from RF2 Outputs for the Magic Eye operation TO the Secondary TV`s via the cable ?

Please don`t think that I am doubting You but does this mean that I can verify what You suggested by turning Off the Power to the RF2 Outputs [for Magic Eye] via the Installer Menu and that should stop the interference ?

What I cannot understand is why what You suggested would happen to TWO Sky Boxes on the same Day ?

They are not connected together in any way - the Dining Room TV is connected to the Living Room TV Sky Box and a Bedroom TV is connected to my Main Bedroom TV Sky Box.

How could the same Fault have occurred on both Sky Boxes on the same Day ?

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Im not that far from you, and had the same problem, but as I mentioned was psu....
To test output and change rf2 channel, do the following this will prove the unit or channel problem.
press services
press 4, 0, 1
press select
press 4 (should see rf outputs)
highlight RF CHANNEL NUMBER
enter new channel number and press select
make sure rf outlet power supply in selected to on.
the select save new settings. backup to exit

Im not that far from you, and had the same problem, but as I mentioned was psu....
To test output and change rf2 channel, do the following this will prove the unit or channel problem.
press services
press 4, 0, 1
press select
press 4 (should see rf outputs)
highlight RF CHANNEL NUMBER
enter new channel number and press select
make sure rf outlet power supply in selected to on.
the select save new settings. backup to exit

"Hello again Tazz",

I knew about the above details - but Thanks for posting them - I don`t know what Channel to try changing the Sky Boxes RF2 Outputs to ?

When You write PSU / Power Supply Unit do You mean the MAIN Power Supply to the Sky Boxes ?

There is no `interference`/ Picture break up on the Main TV`s that the Sky Boxes are connected to via Scart Leads.

EDIT: I have just tried turning the RF2 Outputs [9 or12 Volt] Power to the Cables / Magic Eyes Off - the `interference` is still occurring on the 2 secondary TV`s.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Change the channel to say 62 and see what happens, you can always change it back.....if no joy Check voltage on rf2 output should be 9v....the main psu powers different sections of the sky box including the rf2 output.

Change the channel to say 62 and see what happens, you can always change it back.....if no joy Check voltage on rf2 output should be 9v....the main psu powers different sections of the sky box including the rf2 output.

"Thanks for the Channel suggestion Tazz".

Can You believe this:

I have had both of the affected TV`s On Sky for a while since I tried turning Off the 9 volt power from the RF2 Outputs to the Magic Eyes - that did not make any difference to the `interference` so I turned the power back On.

A few minutes ago the interference stopped on both TV`s at the same time - as if a switch had been turned off !

The problem had been displaying on both of these TV`s since yesterday afternoon when it was noticed on one of them and the other was turned on to check it - they were un-watchable all last night and all of this morning.

I will now have to monitor them - but I will try changing the Channel for the RF2 Output on the Sky Boxes If / When this `interference` happens again.

I will post an update on here if this happens again regarding whether changing the RF2 Output Channel on the Sky Boxes did solve the problem.

EDIT: I am wondering whether this comment from my original message is of any significance:

`When I turn off the Sky Boxes I can still see the Lines of Interference across the TV Screens - does that suggest that it is the Cables between the Sky Boxes and the Secondary TV`s that is `receiving` this Interference ?`

Could the cables between the Sky Boxes and the affected `secondary` TV`s be picking up interference for something nearby which has just been switched On yesterday - was On for 24 Hours and then switched Off just a while ago ?

The problem with that `Theory` is that I cannot think of anything that would be operated like this - unless something was being Tested for 24 Hours ?

Thanks very much for your help Tazz I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Sounding more like the caps on the psu, if now being intermittent.....another sign is interference when switched on, then ok after a few hours.

"Hello Tazz",

When You write `caps` do You mean Capacitors are failing on the PSU ?

Please don`t be offended by this but I cannot see how BOTH Sky Boxes could get the same faulty component on the same Day.

Are Sky Digibox Power Supply Units available [whole unit] as spares - my Sky Boxes are the Original type / NON Sky Plus Boxes - Panasonic - these are not 15 Years old - both have been replaced in the last 5 Years.

I think that I have previously seen PSU `Repair Kits` which I think just contain the Capacitors [?] - I would not want to mess about with trying to replace Capacitors on a PCB or similar.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:
Chris yes capacitors....kits contain about 18 of them....to be honest its cheaper and easier to buy a new type sky box off ebay...but not the hard drive version as this needs new lnb and cable on dish. My 14 year old amstrad packed up about 3 months ago. And after repairing the power supply twice, this time it was the main board. So bought a newer version for ÂŁ35, as most people want the plus version with hard disk drive etc. So they are pretty cheap, quick phone call to sky, and reset card to new box.

"Hello Tazz",

Thanks for the information about buying a used Sky Box on ebay - you are definitely right - I would not be able to get anyone to `Repair` a Sky Box for ÂŁ35.00 and then there would probably be ÂŁ30.00 worth of Special Delivery postage to get it to and from the Repairer !

However I still cannot see BOTH of the Sky Boxes developing this problem on the same Day.

Both TV`s have been used quite regularly recently for watching Sky - in fact they were used on Thursday night without any of the `interference`.

Perhaps this was a `One Off` - although I doubt it.

But - You never know - the MAJOR Problems that I had on ALL of my Home`s TV`s immediately after the Digital Switch-over in London just stopped - I could not find any way to solve it myself.

In case anyone is interested in that thread here it is:

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...rum/55434-my-tv-s-freeview-channels-have.html

I could not post an update on that thread as it was closed when I went back to do so - the Update is the Interference just stopped happening but it was many Weeks after it started and We could not watch Freeview TV at all for that period !

I am also concerned about being able to get Sky Boxes that still have the RF2 Output in future - otherwise We will lose the facility of being able to watch Sky in the second Bedroom or Dining Room - it would probably be sensible to buy 2 Original Spec. Sky Boxes for this reason alone - ?

The obvious drawback being that I would not be able to test that they were working because of only being able to `Pair` them with my Sky viewing Cards when they were permanently installed.

Thanks again Tazz.

Regards,

Chris

Last edited:

Reply to Suspected interference on sky box rf2 channel 68 output to second tv in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net