Discuss Suspended lights fitting ideas in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hightower

Getting a stack of these to replace the fluorescent we currently have in our sports hall. I've got a test unit, and I've put it up using the suspension kit the old light was on - it's a wire type with a quick release mechanism.

The new light weighs the same as the old fitting so the wire fitting kit should suffice but I've had a search for alternative methods of fixing and haven't found much, so just looking for other ideas too?

https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk...+White+LED+Low/High+Bay+Light+105W/1859226924

How does the 'test' job look? Why are you looking for alternatives, does it not look good?
I've not used them so don't know how they're fixed or how many fixing points they have.
You could always go for good old screwed hooks, hooked back plates and chain. They'll look good on a flying saucer;)

The test job looks good, and for all the previous lights were installed for decades without falling on someone's head, there's something about a thin metal wire that unnerves me

Haha, now I'm more confused. Are you all agreeing that it should be fine, or agreeing that a 6mm chain would be more reassuring?

Chains are only as strong as their weakest link and more susceptible to failures as a result of movement.

Inspect the existing suspensions and fixing points and if all is in good order with no signs of deterioration, damage or corrosion then they should be suitable for re-use.
What is the method of attachment to the light fitting? Is it much different to the previous method? Are you changing the direction that the load is being applied to the fixing points or is the steel wire being bent through a tighter angle?

There are some occasions where it has to be wire.
In this one, I had to come up with a method of lamp changing with this existing fittingSuspended lights fitting ideas IMG_0223.JPG - EletriciansForums.net .
It's pretty high and nothing but pews underneath.
By the way, it was on going, so not centralized.
How would you do it?

Chains are only as strong as their weakest link and more susceptible to failures as a result of movement.

Inspect the existing suspensions and fixing points and if all is in good order with no signs of deterioration, damage or corrosion then they should be suitable for re-use.
What is the method of attachment to the light fitting? Is it much different to the previous method? Are you changing the direction that the load is being applied to the fixing points or is the steel wire being bent through a tighter angle?
I'll hop up in the scissor lift tomorrow to take some photos before I reply to this in full.

There are some occasions where it has to be wire.
In this one, I had to come up with a method of lamp changing with this existing fittingView attachment 42041 .
It's pretty high and nothing but pews underneath.
By the way, it was on going, so not centralized.
How would you do it?
send for buzzlightyear. he can fly up there easy peasy.

I mean, according to this the light weighs 7kg, and the wire has a safe working load of 8kg, and I've got two wires to each fitting as well - so it should all be fine. But.... there's just something a bit more reassuring about a 6mm chain compared to a 2mm wire.
I hear what your saying I use Jcc skytile suspension kits or gripples which come in a range of sizes the jcc kits do look the part though

Nice bit of Genesis 9:13 going on there.
Looking good and inventive way to future proof maintenance.
Why is it that insulation never goes down neat and ends up looking like scrambled eggs?

Nice bit of Genesis 9:13 going on there.
Looking good and inventive way to future proof maintenance.
Why is it that insulation never goes down neat and ends up looking like scrambled eggs?
Like that when I found it. It might just have something to do with the original method of suspension. From the adjustable wire rope tensioner above the fitting, round the higher beam about 5m away and round the beam above the fitting position. In the 2nd picture you can see the 3/8''steel 'rope' over the two higher beams...and get that spacing from the bottom beam.
Heath Robinson, eat your heart out. It took some cutting and removing. It favoured a rat trap and took a bit of care.
Suspended lights fitting ideas IMG_0216.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Suspended lights fitting ideas IMG_0218.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Suspended lights fitting ideas IMG_0220.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Sorry for delay in getting these, been a bit mental. So you can see in the images, there's two wires, as I've said I believe these to be rated to 8kg each and the light is 7kg.

I spent a good half hour pinging footballs off it today and it's solid. But yes, the previous wire was straight drops, I've strapped this up with an angled wire which will put more strain on it I imagine.

I could wire it straight down as previous but it'll hang slightly lower I expect.

Suspended lights fitting ideas 1 - EletriciansForums.net

Suspended lights fitting ideas 2 - EletriciansForums.net

Suspended lights fitting ideas 3 - EletriciansForums.net

Suspended lights fitting ideas 4 - EletriciansForums.net

So you can see in the images, there's two wires, as I've said I believe these to be rated to 8kg each and the light is 7kg.
But yes, the previous wire was straight drops, I've strapped this up with an angled wire which will put more strain on it I imagine.

Angled support wires definitely increase the force in each wire. With two wires and a 120 deg angle between the wires, each wire will have a force equal to the weight of the object. As you increase the angle between the wires, the forces increase. With the angle you have there, I estimate that each wire will be subject to a force of about twice the weight of the light.

It's easy to calculate, or look up info on angled lifting slings.

You can get safety wires which would hold the fitting if one of the grapples broke.
Don’t need to be tensioned, just looped of the strut and through the eye bolt.
That's what I was thinking - continue to fix them as per photos but then have an untentioned safety wire going straight up in the event of them snapping. I'm going back up in the lift today, I'm going to try suspending them with straight drops to see how they react when hit.

Reply to Suspended lights fitting ideas in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock