Discuss SWA Cable - Identification in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought a 6mm SWA cable from CEF and realised the external diameter is 15.1mm however on the website it says the external diameter is 16.6mm? Have I been given an incorrect cable size? They are no markings on the armoured cable to state the size.

I also purchased a 2.5mm SWA cable and the external diameter is 12.9mm and the product spec on the website states 14.1mm.

I wanted to post this just to get some feedback as I will be getting a trench dug up and wouldn't want to rip the cables apart once installed.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Kibz.

SWA cables with the same size and number of conductors can vary considerably in size, depending on the shape of the individual insulated conductors (not all are round), and how they are packaged, sometimes with filler cords.
Probably a different make from the one on the website.
I've often found that the correct gland for a particular SWA is not any of the ones listed on the packet.

It's probably just a different brand or different plastic used. Although staff at my local cef are generally idiots and rarely stay more than a few weeks but I'd like to hope they can read a label with cable size correctly.

It's probably just a different brand or different plastic used. Although staff at my local cef are generally idiots and rarely stay more than a few weeks but I'd like to hope they can read a label with cable size correctly.
I may pop in store to check tomorrow with them as my veneer gauge confirms the sizes as being different

Don't forget that it's 6mm square for each conductor (the total cross sectional area of all the strands in each conductor added together), not the diameter of the conductor.

Don't forget that it's 6mm square for each conductor (the total cross sectional area of all the strands in each conductor added together), not the diameter of the conductor.
Thanks yes I understand that I actually curbside of the cable and it doesn't look like 6mm in diameter for the line and neutral condictors

Swa I use has size and number of cores stamped on external insulation, along with bs number and voltage rating.
3x6, in your case.

What make is the cable?

All XLPE.
3 x 6mm Doncaster is 14.9mm o.d
3 x 6mm Eland and Batt are 16.6mm o.d
3x 6mm Cleveland is 15.14 o.d

3 x 10mm is around 19mm

There's nothing close enough in 3 core for it to not be 6mm

Swa I use has size and number of cores stamped on external insulation, along with bs number and voltage rating.
3x6, in your case.

What make is the cable?
Hi ipf,
I have checked this morning and have gone through the cable indents.

I can confirm that the cable is badged as follows:

Basec Electrical Cable 600/1000V, BS 5467 ATOM 3 x 6mm

The writing is so small that you can barely read it.
The best way is to run you r finger tips and feel the indents of the label and you will need a light to flash onto the cable where I saw the number/sizing.

Thanks for the help - The cable size is correct - saves me a trip to CEF.

Cheers
Kibz

All XLPE.
3 x 6mm Doncaster is 14.9mm o.d
3 x 6mm Eland and Batt are 16.6mm o.d
3x 6mm Cleveland is 15.14 o.d

3 x 10mm is around 19mm

There's nothing close enough in 3 core for it to not be 6mm
Hi K,
Thanks for the tip - I checked this morning to find the cable is a 3 x 6mm2 cable labelled as Basec Electrical Cable 600/1000V BS5467 / Atom 3 X 6mm2
cheers

Reply to SWA Cable - Identification in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock