Discuss SWA fault. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
never seen anything like this before. new cable supplied by cient, installed by ne. no probs. 2 weeks later get a call.. no power. continuity test proves brown conductor is o/c. client is in a catch22. has to return cable for replacement involving me 2 call-outs.... as a temp. measure, i rejigged it, using grey as L, BK as N, and armour as sole cpc. 8 wweks down the line, call to MCB tripped and won't reset. this is what i found after dissing the SWA completely.

DSC_0068.jpgcable was laid on ground prior to client digging trench, no chance of external damage. any ideas, apart from faulty manufacture?

That armouring looks as though it was cut clean by something.

Your avatar was hungry...

Seriously though that looks like its had something drive over it as there is clear evidence of punctures in the outer insulation caused by the stones maybe which has allowed it to tear?

cable laid on stones, almost under a hedge. no spades, no traffic. and, after the 1st problem with the brown o/c, no visible signs of damage. and today, no signs of crushing due to a spade.

I'll wager there is a Pikey somewhere close with an axe or spade with a chunk missing from the sharp bit

can virtually state that the cable has not been touched or tampered with. it's a pikey site with caravan hook-ups. pikeys might not be the most intelligent of the species, but they don't try to nick their own stuff.

can virtually state that the cable has not been touched or tampered with. it's a pikey site with caravan hook-ups. pikeys might not be the most intelligent of the species, but they don't try to nick their own stuff.

Right get you now, not a Pikey gang war going on? trying to cut off their supply (electric supply I mean)

Last edited:
when 1 conductror goes O/C, and IR tests confirm the other 2 and the armour, then i have to assume a manufacturing fault. having rejigged it to get power back on, then have this failure 2 months later, i have to assume a cable fault.

Don't know what to suggest Tel, you believe it's a cable fault, by that I mean a manufacturing fault?

Go back to the supplier/cable manufacturer for compensation if it's down to them, and advice. Can't see what else you can do, unless there are something dodgy electrical goings on.

client supplied the cable. he needs to take it back to supplier. after the 1st fault, i got power back on. client is then in a catch 22. can;t get new cable without taking original back. now it's failed completely, he's got no power to a location, but he'll have to manage till he gets his arse back to the supplier.

client supplied the cable. he needs to take it back to supplier. after the 1st fault, i got power back on. client is then in a catch 22. can;t get new cable without taking original back. now it's failed completely, he's got no power to a location, but he'll have to manage till he gets his arse back to the supplier.
Not your problem Tel problem being I know you would like to help, all you can do is advise him

I can’t see any manufacture accepting that as a manufacturing fault. It would have failed the immersion test before leaving the factory.
Its been cut, probably with a chisel.

Cut a couple of metres out of it and put two joints in. Damp will have tracked down the cores and it’s usual to take a section out to get to where the interior is dry.

tony. the cable was installed lying on the ground, away from any hazards. within 2 weeks, the brown conductor went open circuit. there was no signs of damage. if it had been hit with a chisel or sharp implement, the armour would have been depressed from one side. it wasn't. and no signs of crushing.

Reply to SWA fault. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net