Discuss SWA installtion method in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there,
Been to a quote this week to install a post light at the end of a brick drive. The issue is that it can't be buried and there isn't anything to clip it to.

This is a shared brick drive with 2 houses. Down the middle of the drive there are 4 brick flower beds. The only option I can see is to run the SWA along the base of the brick flower beds but in between the flower beds it will be run along the ground for a shot distance.

Anyone had a similar installation?

Cheers
Rich

It should be properly supported throughout its run. Laid on the ground is not.
Best method is lift the block drive and bury it.

Ask the client to get a builder in to prep you a route, even a much longer one through the soft?
Magician/electrician syndrome here.
Or go solar/led.

Boydy

How come we get dictated to by customers so much these days ?

I understand that it always nice to try and come up with a workable solution where possible, but sometimes it just isn't possible.

While you are here will you fit me some wireless S/Os cos I have just decorated, lol

Hi there,
Been to a quote this week to install a post light at the end of a brick drive. The issue is that it can't be buried and there isn't anything to clip it to.

This is a shared brick drive with 2 houses. Down the middle of the drive there are 4 brick flower beds. The only option I can see is to run the SWA along the base of the brick flower beds but in between the flower beds it will be run along the ground for a shot distance.

Anyone had a similar installation?

Cheers
Rich

There is no such thing as can't be buried, it Can, but will require a lot more work as far as trenching and re-laying/reinstating the block drive after burial. If the customer won't accept that amount of work you walk away.

There is no such thing as can't be buried, it Can, but will require a lot more work as far as trenching and re-laying/reinstating the block drive after burial. If the customer won't accept that amount of work you walk away.

This is the problem these days Eng., electricians seen to have no fire in their belly anymore ( this is not a pop at op ).
It seems everybody is that scared to say no to customers, due to massive competition that some are willing to do sub standard work to earn a couple of quid, I know I would rather earn less and be proud of my reputation, than the other way, just my opinion by the way.

Reply to SWA installtion method in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net