Discuss SWA Into Back Of Consumer Unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

EViS

-
Reaction score
We've got a new build with all the T&E, earths and 25mm SWA coming through one 60mm cutout in a stud wall. What's the neatest way of terminating the SWA?

I'm not convinced that a gland with the earth tag and nut 'floating' loose within the CU, and the 'tails' then running as usual is going to be best practice here? Or is this how you would all do it?

As long as it is earthed at one end then it complies.

This happened to me a while back where the builder brought it through with the T&E and boarded.

I managed to gland it into a galv box which was then behind the DB. The gland was then not accessible but the other end was. So not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but best I could manage.

I have also, once, just given up trying to gland it and wrapped SA tape around the cut armour. Pretty rubbish but you can only work with what you have.

Pahaha, thanks for the replies and humour lads ;).

@APE37 - The other end of the SWA can be earthed no problem - terminating in a large cupboard next to the meters.

@Ian1981 - Didn't think of glanding into a box within the wall. Assuming there would be no (reg) issues with this box being buried and inaccessible? However, if this is ok, why even terminate into a box as opposed to glanding in the wall as there wouldn't be any electrical connections anyway?

@PEG - The CU is an MK 3rd amendment if that helps?

As long as it is earthed at one end then it complies.

This happened to me a while back where the builder brought it through with the T&E and boarded.

I managed to gland it into a galv box which was then behind the DB. The gland was then not accessible but the other end was. So not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but best I could manage.

I have also, once, just given up trying to gland it and wrapped SA tape around the cut armour. Pretty rubbish but you can only work with what you have.
Missed this post as I was replying to the others! I think you've answered most of the questions I had about glanding into a box. However, what purpose does the box serve as opposed to simply glanding in the wall?

To my mind glands should be accessible for inspection and maintenance. Cables should also be properly secured and arranged so that no strain on terminals is caused.

I don't believe it does need to be accessible. Providing the point of earthing for the armour is accessible at source you have no real need to access the other end. Best way is to gland it off at the CU first then you aren't restricted by anything. Small adaptable box on the rear of the CU, chuck/recycle the lid and use the threaded holes to fit the board. Nine times out of ten it will be a cack job however you attempt it.

I don’t think it needs to be accessible (tho could be by removing the DB which is not ideal) as you are earthing the armour at the supply end and not utilising it as the means of the cpc for the circuit so would not require to be inspected to ensure the integrity of the earthing and I don’t see an issue against ensuring strain relief and mechanical protection of the conductors within as long as they are not terminated ‘short’ into the mains switch isolator.
It’s better this than no glanding at all in my opinion.
Using an internal cable clamp like Hager CU’s provide can ensure that there is no strain on the conductors

I've only skipped through this briefly, but was someone really considering just leaving the end of an SWA loose in a stud wall???

‘Standard practice’ these days is to simply put the swa gland on the end and just leave it floating ‘pushed back’ in to the hole.
Just bringing the individual cores through with the twin and earths.
I personally don’t really like it this way as the gland isn’t attached to anything but nearly every new build I see does it exactly this way....

I’ve maybe missed something, but I’m assuming the SWA is 3 core and a core is being used as cpc?
If only 2 core, then both ends need glanded, banjoed and installed properly.

Reply to SWA Into Back Of Consumer Unit? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock