Discuss Swa on top of fibre glass roof in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all, was supposed to be running a bit of 6 mm swa along outside of building for a shed. My plan was just to clip it along wall above ground floor extension. Customer now wants me to just lay swa on top of fibre glass roof. They are saying they don’t want to see cable clipped to wall from back of garden. This does not seem right to me. I cannot find anything in regs to say no. Just wondered what people’s thoughts are?

Is there any regulation on 'securely fixing cables' ?

Is the swa creating a hazard being on the roof ?

Can't think of much else, I'm not familiar with bs7671

tell your customer that by doing that the cable is not secured. reg 522.8..4.. 05.
I think that's a misinterpretation of the regulations. The point of horizontal/vertical support is to avoid undue stresses to the mechanical properties of the conductors. A cable which is laid on something, end to end, is by nature actually supported along its entire length - it's no different to having that SWA buried in a trench or cables in conduit.

HOWEVER - what does come into play here is temperature. That cable is going to get roasting hot on a roof in the summer, and with fibreglass it's not going to have any radial dispersion at all. So the ambient temperature needs to be readjusted in the design calcs which might well mean that a larger conductor size is required or using xlpe @90+ ℃.

OP - have a read of App 4, 7.1

Goes without saying...... rough as dogs, even if it's 'legit'.

............HOWEVER - what does come into play here is temperature. That cable is going to get roasting hot on a roof in the summer, and with fibreglass it's not going to have any radial dispersion at all. So the ambient temperature needs to be readjusted in the design calcs which might well mean that a larger conductor size is required or using xlpe @90+ ℃.............
Maybe you could just tell them to reduce the load by a few Amps for the few days of summer..?

Is it suitably supported to prevent premature collapse in the event of a fire.
I think the water faeries would be more concerned being entangled in a few tons of collapsing roof that the few kilos of SWA on top of it.

Or is it a bit like the Covid cause of death? If there's unsupported cables within 28m of a dead water faerie then the cause of death is entanglement?

I was on a similar job years ago. Flat roof. We laid 2x2 slabs on the roof, then screwed the regular tray brackets to them.

Can’t remember now if it was swa or pyro we ran on the tray???

The roof in the OP may not be flat

Reply to Swa on top of fibre glass roof in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock