Discuss SWA or conduit on cage room in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

highspark

Need to run either SWA or steel conduit in an industrial environment by the room is going to be made from a mesh cage. 8 sockets and 4 wall mounted tube lights. Which would be best to fix to the mesh and what can I use to fix. I am assuming the cage would need to be bonded??

Nothing wrong with using conduit bug the question is how do u fix them to a mesh cage?????

well it cant just be mesh all the way round without supports (box section..or angle)..maybe channel or universal....look, either way..there will be a frame to support the mesh so....

Two squares of suitably sized 12mm ply screwed either side of the mesh then mount the saddles, same can be used for sockets and switches etc.

There will be frame to support but not exact where sockets and lights are going..... So not straight forward as you're making out is it....

Two squares of suitably sized 12mm ply screwed either side of the mesh then mount the saddles, same can be used for sockets and switches etc.
or some 50X6mm black flat....put your saddles up against it at regular intervals and drill through (you use the saddle as a template/pattern.....then just whip off the flat into blanks with a chopsaw.....be sure to remove any sharp edges/rags before using though wont you....

There will be frame to support but not exact where sockets and lights are going..... So not straight forward as you're making out is it....
dont get truculent with me sunshine...i worked in fabrications for 15 years before sparkying....you are asking the right fella about this prob you have but any more of that and i wont bother..capish...

Would it not be more suitable to use SWA and cable tie to mesh as support rather than adding wooden plates everywhere???

Suggestions for mounting sockets to wood panel is good but cable tieing swa is probably the best thing I can think of to support cable

well as its a cage,run some galv trunk around the top, fix with nut and bolt using flat bar as said to clamp down,then galv conduit drops,again using flat bar to clamp saddles same with fittings

When we say flat bar I am assuming you mean steel plate. So this would have to be welded to the cage.....

What's the mesh cage room for?...sometimes this can dictate suitable fixing methods.

As an example the last steel caged room i did was in a local food factory (Nut produce area so had to be seperate from other are's for cross contamination) so had to be all Stainless steel...luckily it was an Electrical/mechanical firm so we made the cage aswell (hence my previous post about tac-welding fixing plates).......wasn't allowed to use any wood at all.

flat bar....hot rolled often refered to as `black flat`....you can get it on various widths and gauges....very common..any steelstockholders will have it.....that WILL give you the support you need for this scenario.....

What's the mesh cage room for?...sometimes this can dictate suitable fixing methods.

As an example the last steel caged room i did was in a local food factory (Nut produce area so had to be seperate from other are's for cross contamination) so had to be all Stainless steel...luckily it was an Electrical/mechanical firm so we made the cage aswell (hence my previous post about tac-welding fixing plates).......wasn't allowed to use any wood at all.
probably a 314 or 316 grade stainless..which is food grade stuff....

anyway...if you fix the conny direct to the frame/mesh.. the cage would no longer be an extranious-conductive-part...but an exposed-conductive-part......

Reply to SWA or conduit on cage room in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock