CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I would get the installer to return and sort out the SWA, with the damage to the sheath externally I would expect that to be replaced or a suitable repair carried out. The gland should not have been left like that.

The consumer unit spare ways should have blanks fitted, the correct MK ones not the universal push in ones. Also the hand written circuit identifiers on the board need sorting out.

Have you received any certification for these works? Have you paid in full?

TBH if basics like that can't be done properly what is the rest of his/her work like?
Thanks all. I'm awaiting the certs though got a screenshot of the NAPIT notification. Sadly I didnt check the work with a fine tooth comb and became aware of it all lately and have paid up. The electrician is happy to return though I need to know what I need to have sorted other than the SWA and the consumer unit holes.

Appreciate all the replies

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
At least they are returning. In my opinion that cable should be totally replaced a repair in my eyes is not good enough. To be honest if they are qualified the issues should be staring them in the face.
Can we see the garage consumer unit, internally also if safely isolated.

At least they are returning. In my opinion that cable should be totally replaced a repair in my eyes is not good enough. To be honest if they are qualified the issues should be staring them in the face.
Yeah attached. The armour is secured properly though the note hand tight as I can loosen it

Attachments

It isn't great you shouldn't be able to remove that by hand, internally it is pretty poor showing little pride in one's work. I suspect the supply also has rcd protection at the first consumer unit negating selectivity. I don't want to judge a person I have never met but they appear to have limited skills. There is also a cable hanging through an unprotected open entry to the left of the cable gland, you could probably put a small object through that entry to touch the busbar.

It isn't great you shouldn't be able to remove that by hand, internally it is pretty poor showing little pride in one's work. I suspect the supply also has rcd protection at the first consumer unit negating selectivity. I don't want to judge a person I have never met but they appear to have limited skills. There is also a cable hanging through an unprotected open entry to the left of the cable gland, you could probably put a small object through that entry to touch the busbar.
Thanks, I appreciate your comments. It aids my next contact

I see you have a 2365 level 2, do you know any electricians who can give you an onsite evaluation.

This is in BS6891 somewhere to which I have no copy. There is a required separation but I cannot quote it although 25mm may be cited. Whatever it is there is no gap of separation in your picture.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
1573148590478.png

1573148627505.png

This is from the OSG pages 23 & 24.

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
At least it's 3 core cable....even if the black earth isn't sleeved g/y.
Disgraceful work throughout, though.
The 'loose' C type gland is for water ingress prevention....how solid is the actual 'earthed' gland connection?

Last edited:

Reply to SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Wetroom Store - Network Wetroom Suppliers
Top Bottom