Discuss SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

freddo

-
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

What is that grey flex hanging through the hole by the supply cable feeding? It looks a bit small to be fed from a 20A MCB.

Wilko

-
Arms
Esteemed
Hi - sorry to say, but I too think the swa cable is best replaced as it has been exposed to weather. Try to find a route that avoids the gas supply crossing. If not, perhaps the swa could be passed through plastic conduit that was secured to the wall behind the gas line.

That N in the CU is a good find, well done :) .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What is that grey flex hanging through the hole by the supply cable feeding? It looks a bit small to be fed from a 20A MCB.
I'd have to check but I think it's the feed for the sockets in the garage
Post automatically merged:

Hi - sorry to say, but I too think the swa cable is best replaced as it has been exposed to weather. Try to find a route that avoids the gas supply crossing. If not, perhaps the swa could be passed through plastic conduit that was secured to the wall behind the gas line.

That N in the CU is a good find, well done :) .
Thanks for this, I've requested the SWA to be fully replaced amongst other things

Missing a grommet too.

As others have said very poor install also I am concerned about the 1.5mm neutral connection next to the Grey cable in the first photo it look like it terminated onto the insulation hopefully there's not much load on that circuit as if may over heat.

As others have said very poor install also I am concerned about the 1.5mm neutral connection next to the Grey cable in the first photo it look like it terminated onto the insulation hopefully there's not much load on that circuit as if may over heat.
The outer sheath was completely screwed through. When I released the screw there was a small blue flash 🤔. I've sorted it though..

Found a second neutral and a earth sleeve of a similar fashion

Attachments

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
When I released the screw there was a small blue flash
That means the circuit was still live, please don't go messing around in your board without fully isolating it, i.e. turning the whole lot off and testing for dead using a voltage indicator.

That means the circuit was still live, please don't go messing around in your board without fully isolating it, i.e. turning the whole lot off and testing for dead using a voltage indicator.
That's strange, I thought I had! Thanks

Matthewd29

-
Arms
Esteemed
I'd love to know how they cut the sheath so badly in one of them pics. Did you get any certs for this work

I'd love to know how they cut the sheath so badly in one of them pics. Did you get any certs for this work
Just awaiting but think it's all legit. They did come back and replace the SWA and the other bits

Matthewd29

-
Arms
Esteemed
Just awaiting but think it's all legit. They did come back and replace the SWA and the other bits
Good to hear that they put it right

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Reply to SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom