Discuss SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Defusion

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all

I had some house rewiring undertaken on my house and have come across a few issues since painting.

First thing was damage to the rubber outer sheath of the SWA cable on the outer wall which I've rapped electrical tape around temporarily as the metal rods were visible and we had a lot of rain.

On looking at some skirting board under the cupboard of the consumer unit I saw some of the metal from the SWA cable visible from under the rubber gland cover. I pulled down the gland cover and saw nearly all of the metal rods not secure within the gland, most of which cut so short they could never have been secured within and at different lengths.

This SWA cable feeds an outer garage and runs for around 30 metres.

I noticed a large gap at the end of the consumer unit with no switches within also. Also one of the neutral cables is secured on the rubber sheath and not the copper cable.

I'm tempted to request the whole cable be replaced properly instead of cover ups but wanted expert opinion. Pics attached

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

Attachments

• SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space 20191107_124731 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191107_124731.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 138
  • SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space 20191107_123939 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191107_123939.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 135
  • SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space 20191107_123945 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191107_123945.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 137
  • SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space 20191107_130019 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191107_130019.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 136
  • SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space 20191107_130353 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191107_130353.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 137
  • SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space Screenshot_20191107-133208_WhatsA - EletriciansForums.net
    Screenshot_20191107-133208_WhatsApp.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 136
I'm afraid to say none of that is looking good. You have multiple issues there in particular the swa cable connection which may or may not have left the armour with no earth. Has a qualified electrician carried that work out.

Thanks westward. Yeah it was. I've checked the smaller consumer unit at the other end in the garage which has an earthing nut on it to the board which is fed by this SWA
[automerge]1573134569[/automerge]

To be honest the installation of that cable is shocking. It is the easiest thing for a competent person to gland one off. The damaged section in the garden to my eyes warrants total replacement as you can guarantee water has ingressed. When was it done.

Welcome to the forum mate.
When was this work done?
Did the electrician give you an electrical cert for this work?
As above, it doesn't look good.

Were they a scheme member, NICEIC, NAPIT, Elesca?
Without getting tied up in red tape that is notifiable work under Part P of the Building Regulations but that aside the shocking work needs addressing so are they a scheme member.

A complete lash up Defusion no wat a proper Electrician did that, you say it was don about 2 weeks ago, any certification provided? get him back to do the job properly, a disgraceful attempt, as someone has already said it's not that difficult to do the job correctly. where are you situated ??

I would get the installer to return and sort out the SWA, with the damage to the sheath externally I would expect that to be replaced or a suitable repair carried out. The gland should not have been left like that.

The consumer unit spare ways should have blanks fitted, the correct MK ones not the universal push in ones. Also the hand written circuit identifiers on the board need sorting out.

Have you received any certification for these works? Have you paid in full?

TBH if basics like that can't be done properly what is the rest of his/her work like?

I would get the installer to return and sort out the SWA, with the damage to the sheath externally I would expect that to be replaced or a suitable repair carried out. The gland should not have been left like that.

The consumer unit spare ways should have blanks fitted, the correct MK ones not the universal push in ones. Also the hand written circuit identifiers on the board need sorting out.

Have you received any certification for these works? Have you paid in full?

TBH if basics like that can't be done properly what is the rest of his/her work like?

Thanks all. I'm awaiting the certs though got a screenshot of the NAPIT notification. Sadly I didnt check the work with a fine tooth comb and became aware of it all lately and have paid up. The electrician is happy to return though I need to know what I need to have sorted other than the SWA and the consumer unit holes.

Appreciate all the replies

At least they are returning. In my opinion that cable should be totally replaced a repair in my eyes is not good enough. To be honest if they are qualified the issues should be staring them in the face.
Can we see the garage consumer unit, internally also if safely isolated.

At least they are returning. In my opinion that cable should be totally replaced a repair in my eyes is not good enough. To be honest if they are qualified the issues should be staring them in the face.

Yeah attached. The armour is secured properly though the note hand tight as I can loosen it

Attachments

• SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space 20191107_144427 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191107_144427.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 103
  • SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space 20191107_144354 - EletriciansForums.net
    20191107_144354.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 108
It isn't great you shouldn't be able to remove that by hand, internally it is pretty poor showing little pride in one's work. I suspect the supply also has rcd protection at the first consumer unit negating selectivity. I don't want to judge a person I have never met but they appear to have limited skills. There is also a cable hanging through an unprotected open entry to the left of the cable gland, you could probably put a small object through that entry to touch the busbar.

It isn't great you shouldn't be able to remove that by hand, internally it is pretty poor showing little pride in one's work. I suspect the supply also has rcd protection at the first consumer unit negating selectivity. I don't want to judge a person I have never met but they appear to have limited skills. There is also a cable hanging through an unprotected open entry to the left of the cable gland, you could probably put a small object through that entry to touch the busbar.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments. It aids my next contact

I see you have a 2365 level 2, do you know any electricians who can give you an onsite evaluation.

Reply to SWA sheath, earthing and empty consumer unit space in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock