Discuss SWA sizes confused in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hunggaur

hi guys and girls sorry to have to ask this and i know when i get the answer i will kick myself but i am getting confused over SWA cable sizes.

i need to upgrade a garage and am looking to put in 6mm instead of the current 2.5 and want to use swa. i have been able to fined 6mm swa which i assume refers to the inner core size.

however my problem is that i have also been given details of swa cables with an outer diameter of 16 and 25mm. does this mean that the inner core cable sizes will be 4mm and 6mm ?????

also when it is advertised as 16mm or 25 mm 3 core is this outer cable diameter

sorry guys and girls hope this is clear as i have total confused myself.

regards

jon

the links buggered M8 The size ie 4mm 3core swa refers to core size ( if using 3 core on 1phase use black as earth) the outer diam u refert to is the gland size allways use correct size gland as using a larger size might "fit" but the armours wont fit correctly and will fail sooner or later

SWA cable is advertised by it's core size i.e, a 16mm 3 core will have 3 internal cores, with a 16mm cross sectional area each. A 25mm 4 core will have 4 internal cores with a cross sectional area of 25mm each.

You need to look for a 6mm 3 core cable, if thats what you need......

Reply to SWA sizes confused in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Client currently has a DB in his outhouse. It feeds a pool pump and an air source heat pump. It is currently being supplied using a 4mm T&E cable...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views
For various reasons out of my control, we have wound up in a situation where we have 1.5mm SWA cables buried in these pillars and exiting out of...
Replies
Views
Background: I am not an electrician, I am a retired professional engineer high power broadcast transmitter design , but am dabbling outside my...
Replies
Views
For context i am in my 2nd year in college and my head is going round in circles a question in my project for which i need to select the right...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock