Discuss SWA to external flexible cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I'm looking at adding an electric lock to our driveway gates

The lock runs on 12v from a lock control module and I can pull an additional length of 1.5mm SWA through the underground conduit from the garage and terminate it into an IP65+ Wiska box using a 20S storm gland - that's all pretty straightforward

My question is really about the flexible cable to run from the Wiska box to to the lock itself - the Wiska box will be on a brick pier and the lock on the gate (it's a pair of swing gates so the lock will be at the gate join), so the cable will flex to 90 degrees every time the gate is opened - the bending can be mitigated with a loop of cable but there will still be repeated stresses

I'd love a recommendation for a suitable external flexible cable (the thinner the better) and gland that will work with the Wiska box - would Hi-Tuff or other NYY-J/NYY-O be suitable?

Thanks

Don't forget the bootlace ferrules (unless there's something like Wago lever connectors at both ends) :)

I've got plenty of Wagos but I've never really thought about using them outside - I'm guessing from your comment that they'll survive OK in a weatherproof enclosure?
Yes, they'll be fine, I use them in Wiska boxes all the time when connecting exterior lights. Saves me messing around with bootlace ferrules ;)

I'm looking at adding an electric lock to our driveway gates

The lock runs on 12v from a lock control module and I can pull an additional length of 1.5mm SWA through the underground conduit from the garage and terminate it into an IP65+ Wiska box using a 20S storm gland - that's all pretty straightforward

My question is really about the flexible cable to run from the Wiska box to to the lock itself - the Wiska box will be on a brick pier and the lock on the gate (it's a pair of swing gates so the lock will be at the gate join), so the cable will flex to 90 degrees every time the gate is opened - the bending can be mitigated with a loop of cable but there will still be repeated stresses

I'd love a recommendation for a suitable external flexible cable (the thinner the better) and gland that will work with the Wiska box - would Hi-Tuff or other NYY-J/NYY-O be suitable?

Thanks
Just use Carlin Flex on the gate It’s weather proof and sunlight resistant and very Flexible

Reply to SWA to external flexible cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock