Discuss Swap a Halogen taillight for a LED in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nicooolito

Hi!
I will be rebuilding the tail on my motorcycle this summer, i will mount a custom tail from a different brand motorcycle and along with that a "custom" tail light that came of a newer bike, the new tail light i want to put in is a LED tail light, but the one on my bike is halogen, both my stock (halogen) and the new LED tail light has 3 wires each, red (+) black (-) and blue (brake(when u press brakes)), so connecting them together is easy, i tried the new LED tailight by connecting it to a 12v battery and it worked fine, but does the LED taillight need a resistor/relay (or whatver its called) like the LED turn signals need to blink/operate normaly? can i damage the electronics on my bike or the new LED tail light by straight swapping/connecting the taillight to the same wires where my old Halogen taillight was? i know LED require less power, but i dont know if the excess power from my bike will burn the LED tail light, on the back of the new LED tail light it says:
13.5V
2.4/0.3W

dunno if that is of any help but..... anyone got any ideas :/

The LED tail light should work fine without any extra resistors etc., from the specs it is designed to work on normal "12V" bike electrics.

you know that from the detail i posted about the V & W from the backside of the headlight?
i guess ill wire it onto the bike and hope for the best.
thank you

Reply to Swap a Halogen taillight for a LED in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Good Morning, I've used this forum for advice many times but this is my first time posting so I hope that this community can help! We're...
Replies
Views
I purchased a house that has a really cool 12v halogen setup where two wires are suspended across the ceiling in two different locations, and each...
Replies
Views
Hello All! New to forums and not to bright so bear with me. I would like to wire an LED light into the Headlight/parking light/turn signal wiring...
Replies
Views
I'm in the middle of preparing a quote for installing 12 x 3Kw and 4 x 2Kw halogen heaters in a church. The system design was provided by a...
Replies
Views
I have a baffling problem with a newly-installed PIR floodlight and I'd like advice from the forum as to whether it's defective (and should be...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock