Discuss Swapping out 2 gang for 2 FCU on 32A radial final in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Back again after receiving great advice for the bathroom a few months back. This time I'm making a mess in the kitchen.

We have a 32A MCB to radial final which goes to a cooker control switch which also has an integrated 1 gang socket. Off of this is a double socket which serves an electric oven and gas hob. Old oven is rated under 3,000W and old hob much less.

New oven rated 3,000W. New hob is induction, rated at 3,000W.

My plan is to remove the 2 gang socket (20A?) which we have currently and replace with 2No. FCU fused at 13A each. Supply side of 1st FCU would spur across with 6mm2 to supply side of 2nd FCU. 35mm metal double backbox.

Would you agree that this results in each appliance being fused correctly at 13A and the 6mm2 supply being protected at an appropriate 32A? I'll be sure to crimp the appliance flexes following advice received from you all last time.

However, I feel the presence of a 1 gang on the cooker control switch may present a problem? I haven't checked yet, but if its fused at 13A, that of course creates a total potential load on that circuit of 39A. We don't use the socket, but that doesn't mean to say nobody would in the future. As the tiles are cut out for it, it's going to look ugly no matter what I do. I feel like I should replace the cooker switch with a standard switch unit (no socket) then install a blanking plate to cover the hole?

All advice welcome.

Many thanks

All advice welcome.
You are allowed to apply a diversity calculation to the cooker circuit, due to the unlikely occurrence of all elements of both appliances being on simultaneously for any great length of time. (some argue "Christmas lunch" is this sort of situation, but in reality, once up to temperature, ovens and hotplates are running on simmer-stats that turn the elements on and off)

Also note the diversity allowance for a cooker socket is 5A.
So you are overstating the total nominal load.
If you're not familiar: TLC Electrical Supplies - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/6.5.2.htm

Reply to Swapping out 2 gang for 2 FCU on 32A radial final in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock