Discuss Swapping out a cooker switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gardenbennett

Have been asked to disconnect a 40A fixed line to a cooker. The new cooker is apparently a '13A, 3 pin' one, though I'll believe that when I see it. The cable isn't being removed, so it needs terminating properly. I was thinking it could go into a new plug socket, but then the RCD for the circuit would be too high. Have been looking at
1) Swapping the isolator switch for an isolator switch with a socket, and just leaving the cooker switch on this unconnected and non-functional
2) Wiring in a double socket with a built in RCD

What do people think?

I'm also confused by the question. If this is DIY works you're doing please let us know because we have a DIY forum specifically and I'll relocate your questions there for you.

The RCD is to protect the cable
Could put a cooker switch leading to a socket (switch to socket can be done in 2.5 or 1.5, but I would go with the 2.5)

Can be fined for not reporting some electrical work

The RCD is to protect the cable
Could put a cooker switch leading to a socket (switch to socket can be done in 2.5 or 1.5, but I would go with the 2.5)

Can be fined for not reporting some electrical work

RCDs don't protect cables!

Who on earth is going to fine someone for not reporting electrical work? Which law?

Rcd's protect you not the cable!!!!!

I.have a hard time.explaining things.so.I'll give.links.now
Love.the.echo.in these forums
RCDs Explained | Electrical Safety First
And I'm guessing he ment mcb than RCD and in my head I just read it as he was talking about a mcb but my.mind didn't change the letters
Napit said I could be fined.for.not reporting electrical work done.. So shouldn't believe every thing people say

Last edited by a moderator:
An RCD is an additional protection device to protect stupid people from drilling holes into cables less than 50mm from a finished surface or plugging in an outdoor appliance. Also for any appliance do with with water or within a Zone.

A MCB protects the cable. Basic rule of thumb, the MCB rating must be lower than what the cable can carry in its installation method.

As for your 6mm radial cooker circuit, just terminate it into a normal plug socket on a 32A MCB. Do the tests first to make sure the cable is still fit for use and issue a MWC (if you want to, you dont have to btw).

Good luck with it and tell us all how it went.

Last edited:
An RCD is an additional protection device to protect stupid people from drilling holes into cables less than 50mm from a finished surface or plugging in an outdoor appliance.

No it isn't, it does nothing to protect people from drilling holes in to cables, it reduces the likelihood of them receiving a fatal shock when they drill into a cable and make contact with a live wire.

No it isn't, it does nothing to protect people from drilling holes in to cables, it reduces the likelihood of them receiving a fatal shock when they drill into a cable and make contact with a live wire.
Then by definition it 'protect(s) stupid people from drilling holes into cables'. Think your splitting hairs.

Have been asked to disconnect a 40A fixed line to a cooker. The new cooker is apparently a '13A, 3 pin' one, though I'll believe that when I see it. The cable isn't being removed, so it needs terminating properly. I was thinking it could go into a new plug socket, but then the RCD for the circuit would be too high. Have been looking at
1) Swapping the isolator switch for an isolator switch with a socket, and just leaving the cooker switch on this unconnected and non-functional
2) Wiring in a double socket with a built in RCD

What do people think?
OP there are electric cookers out there that come with a 13a plug fitted. If that what the manufacturer recommends, then it's ok (long as it has relevant CE marks etc!). I think option 1 would look a bit pants and the same for 2). As the rest of guys say, you need to provide a bit more precise information, to be offered suitable suggestions.

I think the OP is saying that the existing cooker circuit is fed via a 100ma RCD [possibly a 15th/16th edition dual 30/100ma board on a TT system which was perfectly acceptable in its time] and his concern is that by changing the panel to a normal socket he'd then be contravening current and previous regs by not having 30ma RCD protection - yes I know there are assumptions here but I'm trying to be positive and if this was the case then the 'cooker' MCB could simply be transferred to the 30ma side of the board or if not feasible then just reconnect the cable as a spur off the appropriate ring MCB at the DB.

Reply to Swapping out a cooker switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net