Discuss Swimming pool changing area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Welchyboy

Doing an install at a private house, outside swimming pool and adjacent changing room, are there any requirements for the changing area, only a toilet no shower
but they would like a few sockets in there for hair dryer etc and there are obviously going to be wet bodies in there and a wet tiled floor, i can only find reference to zones within the locality of the swimming pool itself and no mention of changing areas, or does common sense have to be applied?
also the control gear and pumps etc will be located in a brick built enclosure within zone 1, the regs ask for an automatic shut off of supply upon opening of door to this enclosure, the only way I can think of achieving this is a push to make button on the door triggering a contactor isolating the main supply or something similar but this could be easily over-ridden, and poses a problem of supplying the door switch?? anyone done this before.?

When ever I've done pool changing area's we've had to use IP rated lighting and plastic containment due to the chlorine, stainless steel fixings aswell. They have been public pools so don't know if this was reg or OTT spec.

I would think if you used ip rated sockets, it would be fine...
my local swimming pool has 240v poolside. They have rcd switched sockets. might not be a bad idea...

If the pool control gear is within a room with a door, it's not in ZONE A is it, it'll be in Zone B!! So, what's the distance from the edge of the pool to the door of the enclosure??
As for the changing room, either use IP rated RCD outlets or IP outlets on RCD/RCBO protected circuits!!

More importantly, what is the supplies earthing system??

If the pool control gear is within a room with a door, it's not in ZONE A is it, it'll be in Zone B!! So, what's the distance from the edge of the pool to the door of the enclosure??
As for the changing room, either use IP rated RCD outlets or IP outlets on RCD/RCBO protected circuits!!

More importantly, what is the supplies earthing system??

The supply is pme and I will be providing a local earth rod for this set up, the regs doesnt mention isolation of the pme earthing to create a TT system, just 'a supplementary earth rod' but would you think it a better sinario to loose the pme?

the whole installation will be 30mA rcbo/rcd protected/class 2 and ip rated where required

The distance from pool edge to control gear is around 1meter, as i interpret it, the requirements are for a lockable (with key or tool) insulated enclosure with
auto-matic isolation of supply upon opening of door/hatch

I would like some advice on how others would have maybe achieved this?

its not really a room as such just a small cupboard around 800x800x1200mm

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The supply is pme and I will be providing a local earth rod for this set up, the regs doesnt mention isolation of the pme earthing to create a TT system, just 'a supplementary earth rod' but would you think it a better sinario to loose the pme?

the whole installation will be 30mA rcbo/rcd protected/class 2 and ip rated where required

The distance from pool edge to control gear is around 1meter, as i interpret it, the requirements are for a lockable (with key or tool) insulated enclosure with
auto-matic isolation of supply upon opening of door/hatch

I would like some advice on how others would have maybe achieved this?

its not really a room as such just a small cupboard around 800x800x1200mm

Many thanks

Who installed this enclosure, the pool company?? This sounds like another installation that is going to rely on make-do's to get over one problem or another. How is an automatic isolation system going to work for a pool control system, (i take it the filter and pump(s) etc is in the same enclosure) It'll make pool maintenance and cleaning etc, a real pain in the neck, and will almost certainly be defeated very quickly!! lol!! Personally i'd just make the enclosure accessible only by means of a key....

Leave the PME, but please make your supplementary earth rod, one with a decent Ra value, and not anywhere near as high as 200ohm, using at least 2 X 5/8'' extendable rods for stability as there is a purpose for adding that rod to a PME supplied pool area!!

Reply to Swimming pool changing area in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net