Discuss Swimming Pool Lights Transformer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A customer has has some new submerged pool lights partially installed by pool man who has now disappeared.

Customer wants me to get them working.

SY flex has been run to Certiken JB for connection to pool lights. Its only 2.5mm but its only 5m so hopefully volt drop wont be a problem.

There are 2 luminaires, each has 2 x 50w lamps in each unit (making 100 w for each unit) and are branded Aqua Pharos.

I spoke to the importer who has quoted me 190 + VAT and 16.50 carriage for each transformer (after wingeing they offered me 25% discount). The person I spoke to said I needed one for each light to meet regs and they had to be a special type to meet regs.

Can anyone advise me on the lowest cost solution to this problem

Thanks

first of all i would read the section on swimming pools in the regs. Do you actually need the suppliers tx's or can you use any? if so, then auroa are a good choice. They produce IP67 tx's that are pre wired. You terminate them into a JB through stuffers, and seal it with magic gel or resin. No problems.

I read the green book which says lights must meet BS EN 60598. Not very helpful. Trannies are going in a plant room so I cant see why I cant use normal 105w trannies in a wiska box but every swimming pool tranny I have ever seen seems to be a conventional wire wound one so I presume there must be some reg about it.

First off, Swimming pool underwater lighting is generally supplied and controlled from the pool control panel, which is where the lighting TX's are also usually located, which must be of the safety double wound type!! Depending on where and how these TX's will be supplying these pool lights, will determine the requirement for them. Located in a control panel that isn't exterior located, any saftey D/W transformer, of the correct rating will be fine...

A photo or 2 would be helpful to advise you further!!

Reply to Swimming Pool Lights Transformer in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net