Discuss Swimming pool plant room machines in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I need to clarify some details I found on a EICR in Kingston. The house has a large indoor pool with a separate plant room for all the machinery.

The pool itself is upto present standards (12 years old) with a separate pit with all the jacuzzi pumps and lights which are inaccessible without proper tools ect.

The pump room has a consumer unit with 21 circuits for heating, pumping, thermostats, chemical, electrical valves ect.

The circuits all tested within norms.

The original installer mentioned on a sheet there should be RCBOs present. Instead I found only 60898 TypeB.

Should all plant room machinery have RCD/RCBO protection?

Thanks

Rich

Circuits within the plant room are covered by BS7671 general rules and so sockets and concealed cables would need to be 30mA RCD protected.
Circuits in the zones of a swimming pool would need to be ELV, separated or 30mA RCD protected.

The circuits within the plant room are in metal conduit or surfaced mounted. With circuits running to the pool in underground conduit. Lighting is all ELV.
The property is TNC-S.

More of a check as the designer/installer left a data sheet stating RCBOs. I couldn't see anything in the REGs to reinforce the need for RCBOs if ELV and separation used.

Only case I can see for RCBOs are the sockets in plant room which could be used for exterior equipment.

Hi I need to clarify some details I found on a EICR in Kingston. The house has a large indoor pool with a separate plant room for all the machinery.

The pool itself is upto present standards (12 years old) with a separate pit with all the jacuzzi pumps and lights which are inaccessible without proper tools ect.

The pump room has a consumer unit with 21 circuits for heating, pumping, thermostats, chemical, electrical valves ect.

The circuits all tested within norms.

The original installer mentioned on a sheet there should be RCBOs present. Instead I found only 60898 TypeB.

Should all plant room machinery have RCD/RCBO protection?

Thanks

Rich

It depends on what was installed and when. 12 years ago it would have fallen under the first version of the 17th edition, as this was introduced in 2008. I've slept since then and can't remember what needed RCD's and what didn't, but it would be worth you having a look and finding out.

In any case you need to be advising C3 for RCD's on all this kit in my opinion on your EICR, but you are the man on the ground, so its your call once you have the facts.

Cheers..............Howard

Reply to Swimming pool plant room machines in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net