Discuss Swimming pool pump controls in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Joe R-K

Hi All,

New to the forum. Have experience with some control systems but mainly experienced in sensor systems (pressure, temperature), control signals (0-10, 4-20) and data aquisition, dabbling in some automation.

I'd like to connect my pool pump into a control system I'm building. The current installation has the pool pump connected to a 13A FCU then into a 16A MCB (RCD protected).

My question is, is the FCU totally necessary, or does the MCB and RCD provide enough protection? The MCB feeds only the pool pump.

Also, an isolator should be installed close to the pump, correct? Post or pre FCU (if needed)?

Thanks all,
Joe

What circuit supplies the FCU?

Edit:-

I should say, the OP reads like its:-
some circuit -> FCU -> RCD/MCB -> Pool Pump

Or at least it does when I read it.

Joe - did the pump come with a plug and fuse? Can you see what the conductor size of the cable is?

On a different topic - I appreciate you haven't asked about earthing, but out of interest - do you know the earthing system for your house? And is this 16A mcb in the house CU and what type of pool and distance from house? Has RCD been tested and earth loop been confirmed out to the pump?

If you have a dedicated circuit on a 16A MCB and a 30mA RCD in which the live conductors are all >=1.5mm² then this is generally, subject to installation method and test results, acceptable.
Isolation (ideally double pole) of the pump at a point local to the pump is always a good idea for maintenance purposes.
Welcome to the forum.

How are you CE marking the control system you are building?

Does he have to mate, if it's for his personal use?

I'd like to connect my pool pump into a control system I'm building.

Out of curiosity, what control system are you thinking of building? How's it going to control the pump?

If you have a dedicated circuit on a 16A MCB and a 30mA RCD in which the live conductors are all >=1.5mm² then this is generally, subject to installation method and test results, acceptable.
Isolation (ideally double pole) of the pump at a point local to the pump is always a good idea for maintenance purposes.
Welcome to the forum.

Hi Richard,

Perfect, that's what I was hoping for, as is inline with what I have learnt from the regs.

Thanks
Joe

Joe - did the pump come with a plug and fuse? Can you see what the conductor size of the cable is?

On a different topic - I appreciate you haven't asked about earthing, but out of interest - do you know the earthing system for your house? And is this 16A mcb in the house CU and what type of pool and distance from house? Has RCD been tested and earth loop been confirmed out to the pump?

Hi Wilko,

Can't remember the earting type off the top of my head, but the db was installed by our Electrician, fed off of an RCD/MCB on our main CU. There is an independent RCD protecting the db in the garden. I did some research recently and we don't require an extra earth spike, if that's why you are asking.

Came with a standard 13A fused plug, cant remember the power rating or cable size currently, but it's 1.5mm from memory (away on holiday) Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of curiosity, what control system are you thinking of building? How's it going to control the pump?

Hi Spoon,

Mainly sequencing of the circ. pump and heat pump, as well as pressure and temperature measurement. This will all be PLC controlled (actually using a linux box, haven't decided which one yet, quite like the Wago ones). I have experience in control systems and measurement, but haven't specced the power requirements before, always installed inline with equipment that was previously manually controlled.

Edit:
Just relay controlled (on/off), no need for frequency driven as pump will always need to run at full duty.

Thanks
Joe

What circuit supplies the FCU?

Edit:-

I should say, the OP reads like its:-
some circuit -> FCU -> RCD/MCB -> Pool Pump

Or at least it does when I read it.

(Supply) RCD/MCB -> FCU (13A to match manufacturers requirements) -> isolator -> pump

Reply to Swimming pool pump controls in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net