Discuss Swimming pool pump-house cabling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Guys, here's the situation; a big house with an 80 metre (or so) garden which has a swimming pool towards the end of it. A few metres further on from the pool is a purpose built pool house (I.e. posh outbuilding), and behind that is the pump/filtration shed. Now, the cable that supplies the pump shed from the house needs replacing, which is simple enough to sort regarding current demand and volt drop etc. However, the guy that owns the place is insisting that because there is a swimming pool involved, then the (necessarily armoured) cable MUST be buried, at least along its' run past the pool. Now surely this isn't the case, as for a start the cable wouldn't be feeding anything or terminated at the pool itself, and it runs metres past it to a purpose built pump room, and is roughly 2.5M to 3M to the side of the pool. In addition, checking the regs doesn't throw anything up about this situation, as far as I can tell they only apply to actual equipment (lights, pumps etc.) that might be used at pool-side. I must admit, the main reason I'm querying this is because I personally haven't been involved in this type of installation before, and the owner of the property is a marine engineer, so I guess I feel a bit intimidated by his possible experience :stooge_curly:! At the end of the day, if it's got to be buried, then so be it, but it would be a hell of a lot easier if it didn't have to be; however I will obviously defer to the wisdom of the guys on the forum, and thanks in advance for any advice people!

the guy is talking through his marine arse.

Simply include the cost of the ground works on your estimate. if the client wants it buried, then let him pay!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks to both you guys for a) proving I'm not a complete dunce, and b) giving me the means to give a realistic quote if he's gonna insist on this, 'cos there's two patios to go under, as well as the normal garden earth, so the difference in cost will be substantial should I be unable to change his mind--ultimately not my problem I guess!

Quote for the largest jcb youCan get dig the mother of all trenches and bury the cable. Drive said jcb round and round garden to fully compact disturbed soul.
Afterwards take a picture and post it with the comment "and the client knew best!"

If that's what the client wants.... Its extra £ in your pocket at the end of the day. Get a £50a day labourer to do the hard graft and relaying of turf and patio etc. Simples!

I'd tell the guy that you're willing to bury the cable but that it comes at a significant cost. Then give him a loan of the regs and ask him to find the relevant part which dictates it must be buried as he claims. Then I'd give him 2 quotes, one with the cable buried and one without (maybe on a catenary) and let him choose.
Don't ever allow yourself to be intimidated by someone just because they have their own head up their arse because they see themselves as better than you for whatever reason. They still put their trousers on one leg at a time and their **** still stinks just like yours.
I once had a surgeon trying to pull that crap and I managed to put him back in his box so I'm sure you can do the same to this guy.

get hamas round. they'll have a tunnel dug and a few rocket launchers in site in a day.

Out of interest Jack, for an 80M run up a garden how else would you do it other than burying the cable?
Clip it to the fence?
Telegraph poles?
Lay it on the ground?

I'd go for poles Tony, armies of them. Yarrick and Piotr holding them up in balletic poses every 5 metres

I'd tell the guy that you're willing to bury the cable but that it comes at a significant cost. Then give him a loan of the regs and ask him to find the relevant part which dictates it must be buried as he claims. Then I'd give him 2 quotes, one with the cable buried and one without (maybe on a catenary) and let him choose.
Don't ever allow yourself to be intimidated by someone just because they have their own head up their arse because they see themselves as better than you for whatever reason. They still put their trousers on one leg at a time and their **** still stinks just like yours.
I once had a surgeon trying to pull that crap and I managed to put him back in his box so I'm sure you can do the same to this guy.

So you went in for a vasectomy and came out with a full castration then? :)

What happened to the customer is right
I have had the same scenario and we buried it . It does look better as you can't see any thing but my customer got builders in to dig trench
I said.it's best to bury and he did
So just give him.the options

Reply to Swimming pool pump-house cabling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock