Discuss Swimming Pool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

axel132132

Hi,

Me again =] anyone ever taken a supply to a swimming pool, with a swimming pool cover.

WE have been given NO information on the swimming pool but in a meeting with builder today, he said we need to supply power to the swimming pool and swimming pool company will sort out motors, generators, lights and cover etc.

BUT without any information ive no idea what to do, do i send a quote in saying price without supply to swimming pool this will be extra or do i say get info from here, about usual sizes and then price for that its only about 5M from the board to swimming pool start.

Info needed, Name of pool company with contact name, Number where you can reach the named person.
Then ask him/her what's needed

Find out off the builder the spec for the pool or get the spec from the pool company to state what they require.

It's like asking how longs a piece of string...

Last edited:
i wouldnt even get out of the van without full building plans and pool manufacterers spec.
This isnt a good start to a mega-bucks job lol.

Don't swimming pools usually just have a small plant room which requires a certain size supply then the contractors fitting the pool usually do the rest fromt here.

Yeh there is a plant room being built, the customer is also getting a new Main from electric board into plant room, for our board and the extension, so we will have our db in plant room but there is also boiler etc

Can you not just let the pool company know theres a spare way in the board and if they tell you what breaker they want you will supply and have ready for them to connect into ?
Keeps it simple.... and stops you guessing

Well if your DB is going into the same pool plant room, what are you so flustered about, everything will be contained (as far as your concerned) in the plant room?? Pools don't take that much power (1 to 1 1/2 KW pump motor) unless there are electric heaters to supply!! You'll need to be a millionaire to run those things for any length of time...

To be honest, all you need to do is contact the installing pool company and ask for their requirement. A typical 8 X 4 metre pool (without e/heaters) will only need a 20 to 30A max supply, and that will cover everything, including 2 X 300W ELV pool lighting and a electrical operated pool cover etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
If it comes to it drop the tails into Henley's after an isolator then you can add a separate CU for the pool stuff.

If it comes to it drop the tails into Henley's after an isolator then you can add a separate CU for the pool stuff.

Swimming pools don't have a CU, they are control panels, that incorporate OCPD's, pump control gear, ELV transformer(s), timers, and any other electrical functional control devices...

You need to ask for a full written specification before you even consider running in any cables. Out of interest, how much space have you got in the plant room? Even small pools i'v done in the past seem to take up a heck of a lot of space when you start fitting transformers, pumps, filters...ect. It would be advisable to run in Ducts (4" osma pipe is good) to the relevant places from the plant room (or as close too as can be) as any upgrades ect will be alot easier.

They will probably just require a 3phase board ready to go for them I had a similair meeting few months ago and that's what the pool company wanted from me

They will probably just require a 3phase board ready to go for them I had a similair meeting few months ago and that's what the pool company wanted from me

A 3 phase board for a domestic swimming pool, ....what was it, an OLYMPIC sized pool?? lol!!! Never seen a 3 phase supply for a domestic swimming pool, even for the bigger pools of 12 X 5 metres. Not unless electric heating is included, which i've also never seen on a domestic pool. If heating is required, it's normally via gas or oil boilers through a heat exchanger....

You need to ask for a full written specification before you even consider running in any cables. Out of interest, how much space have you got in the plant room? Even small pools i'v done in the past seem to take up a heck of a lot of space when you start fitting transformers, pumps, filters...ect. It would be advisable to run in Ducts (4" osma pipe is good) to the relevant places from the plant room (or as close too as can be) as any upgrades ect will be alot easier.

The OP is only being requested to make a supply available at the pool plant room, for the pool installation company. It is they that will be installing any ducting to the pool, for electrical operated pool covers and in-pool lighting provisions etc... A single phase 20 or 30Amp supply will be more than adequate for a standard sized pool...

A 3 phase board for a domestic swimming pool, ....what was it, an OLYMPIC sized pool?? lol!!! Never seen a 3 phase supply for a domestic swimming pool, even for the bigger pools of 12 X 5 metres. Not unless electric heating is included, which i've also never seen on a domestic pool. If heating is required, it's normally via gas or oil boilers through a heat exchanger....[/QUOTE

You need to get about a bit more lol

i thought to mention earlier but it seemed too obvious.
surely this is gonna be 3 phase ? for indoor pool and 2 floor extension ?
some of the plant may work off 400v ? has anyone asked lol ?

The swimming pool in the house is between 13-15 meters long o_O

Will this still be single phase, or would they need 3-phase

Maybe, as they may well use a 3 phase pump for a pool that is 15m long and probably be 5 to 6m wide. The main power draw, that would need a substantial supply is if they are using electric heaters. As everyone has stated, you really need to contact the pool company that is installing this over sized house pool, ...Then you'll know for Certain what you need to provide!!!

Hope the owner has plenty of dosh to keep that size of pool running for 8 hours a day, let alone the heating costs to be able to use it without getting frost bite during the winter months in the UK!!...lol!!

Reply to Swimming Pool in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock