Discuss Switch and Socket product design, Quick question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DG599

-
Reaction score
Hi There,
I'm designing a range of switches and sockets for the UK market, to launch in the next 6 months. Any feedback or thoughts on the below would be much appreicated.

Socket/Switches are attached to metal or plastic mounting boxes. When a plastic box is used there is a 1mm flange. This means the switch/socket cannot be flush to the wall.

-Does this annoy you or your customers?
-What percentage of metal / plastic mounting boxes do you use?

IMG_8696.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

IMG_8698.JPG

I use 98% metal boxes. Plastic plasterboard boxes of the type pictured are only used for rare occasions where I can't get into the wall to fix a box.
I believe they are used extensively in the "chuck any old ---- in and do it quick" ethos of the modern new build industry though.

and a socket should never be that close to the floor. aprt from stressing the flex on an appliance, it would do my back in bending.

I think at the mid to high end there is opportunity to innovate in the product and improve on service. The choice is so vast that choosing what you like, and trusting the quality is difficult for non-tradespeople. There are also a lot of companies buying generic components and calling them their own. We intend on offering a concise range, where we have designed every component.

Thats the current plan

Innovate and improve sounds interesting, but it also sounds vague. What are your back boxes and sockets, for instance, going to offer?

If you in that line of work @DG599 one thing i would like to see is Zwave compatible outlets..
There are currently no Z-wave operated sockets in the UK there is also very limited range of light switches.
At the moment people are relying on small modules to insert in the back of a momentary switches.

The only thing we have in the UK is RF lightwave.
If you could manufacture one you would have a huge market straight off the button especially as Smarthings, Alexa Vera hubs are gaining more popularity, there are hundreds of devices for the US market but it runs on a different frequency.

Sorry, I can't be specific yet. The business isn's launched. There wont be any dragons den style breakthrough inventions I'm afraid. We are going to decide on the product values would resonate with our target customers. Then design a suite of products that fits those. But we have very few constraints on spec which is rare.

I think at the mid to high end there is opportunity to innovate in the product and improve on service. The choice is so vast that choosing what you like, and trusting the quality is difficult for non-tradespeople. There are also a lot of companies buying generic components and calling them their own. We intend on offering a concise range, where we have designed every component.

Thats the current plan
Will your design comply with all the relevant British Standards? will they have CE compliance thirdly what is the difference between your design and the current designs?

personally i’d think of a better product to better than a 3mm lip

were in the screwfix age, people dont even dog leg anymore rather just pack it out with some timber LOL

Hi, use mostly metal backboxes with plasterboard. What I would like is isoloator switch to remove the USB on a socket so insulation resistance can be done easier rather than remove socket prior to test. It would be nice to have wago lever type connectors on the back to allow for two 4mm cables. A cable install where all cables are cut the same length for speedier installation like the Crabtree range. Flat plate fronts, screwless would be icing on the cake in stainless steel or a clear plastic version which could be colour matched on the back to local wall making for less obtrusive product. Finally, a decent grid switch system with 32A DP switches and a extended back box to give room to terminate the cables easier. My normal product of choice is Schneider Get Ultimate, flat plate, black insert, screwless. Customers love them.

Hi, use mostly metal backboxes with plasterboard. What I would like is isoloator switch to remove the USB on a socket so insulation resistance can be done easier rather than remove socket prior to test. It would be nice to have wago lever type connectors on the back to allow for two 4mm cables. A cable install where all cables are cut the same length for speedier installation like the Crabtree range. Flat plate fronts, screwless would be icing on the cake in stainless steel or a clear plastic version which could be colour matched on the back to local wall making for less obtrusive product. Finally, a decent grid switch system with 32A DP switches and a extended back box to give room to terminate the cables easier. My normal product of choice is Schneider Get Ultimate, flat plate, black insert, screwless. Customers love them.

Nice reply but I’m not going to read it twice.
With all those ideas he’ll be a millwionaire by next year - Rodders!

I do not like flat plates but I lurve low profile, just something about them.
Hamilton style! bit more expensive than Denmans Designa though as @Murdoch says - how much are people prepared to pay?

Thanks for the generous replies to a new forum member! Some good points here. Leftfield points appreciated too.

The smart device trend is quite interesting with wireless enabled components. The rate of change is so high in that area that it may be a few years before we know if its a gimmick or not. -Even then they may have a short working life before standards change.
Designing products to last 10-50 years is more interesting. This can be done in the time, to bsen standards and to a reasonable cost :)
[automerge]1567679039[/automerge]
This is a very old thread now, but I'd like to update it. I appreciated the comments here, as well as speaking to loads of local electricians I have found the comments from the trade to be really good. After a lot of development, and a shocking amount of £ spent on tooling we have launched 3 collections of electrical products. If there is interest I can go into the details of the development journey and tell you about the details of bringing new things to market, which are usually quite hidden.
I wont post a link or pictures unless it's allowed, or there's interest.

Cheers

Last edited:

Reply to Switch and Socket product design, Quick question in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net