Discuss switch heights on a farm in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
I know according to approved document M of the Building regs that switches are to be installed at a maximum height of 1600mm, but do the building regs apply on a farm? it's a completely new build shed
also I seem to remember something about part P only being applicable in a domestic dwelling, is this true?
thanks

part p appies only to domestics, yes. pretty certain you can fit switches at whatever height the customer wants them in a shed.

My only dealings with farm buildings started out with 3 new cowsheds. I mounted the light switches above the door at 6” from the doorjamb. The farmer got so used to them being in a set position that 6 months later he asked me to move all out building switches to the same place and replace all sockets. I used the MK Masterseal switches and sockets throughout.

I know according to approved document M of the Building regs that switches are to be installed at a maximum height of 1600mm, but do the building regs apply on a farm? it's a completely new build shed
also I seem to remember something about part P only being applicable in a domestic dwelling, is this true?
thanks

You can fit the switches whatever height suits in the shed. But in a domestic I am sure that switches must be no more than 1200 to the top not 1600.

We do a large amount of Ag work and swear by MK Master seal we always install to where the client ether instructs or we suggest .
Remember that stock are involved and will lick every thing in site !
Do keep in mind where you mount the cu could be in a pen full of excitable animals when the power trips if not planned correctly !
25 v touch voltage and i still prefer TT .
Hope this helps .

Not having done a great deal of Agi work, but the 25v touch voltages, is that part of the regs from the 16th, as I don't think the 17th mentions touch voltages now.

I could not find it there, and would be interested in where it came from, or is it form another set of regulations. I know that the new amendment is proposing 25v touch voltages in areas of the new medical locations, but I wasn't aware that Agi locations needed it.

Reply to switch heights on a farm in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net