Discuss Switch loops help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Otownguy

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, hoping someone can help me with a question. I recently purchased an old home for a rental. There is no overhead lighting in the living room as they used to use lamps for lighting in older homes. I have one switch with a black and white wire running to it which turns on a single outlet with flipped to ON. I wired the black and white together to keep the outlet on all the time. My question is can I use the existing two wires to power a celing fan? I'd like to jumper off that two wire connection to provide 120v to a switch and power the fan. I have 120v before I make the connection and then 0 volts after I tie them together..it seems weird. Im pretty sure I can pig tail but I'm probably confusing myself and measuring wrong..any help would be great. Thanks!

It sounds like the switch is two hots (hot in and hot to the single outlet). You will need a neutral to power the fan.

Reply to Switch loops help in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
Hi, I installed 6 recessed lights in my living room. I’m now up to the wiring part of the project. There is an outlet in the room that is...
Replies
Views
First, sorry if I'm not in the correxct thread. I'm trying to replace an old switch with a WIFI switch and cannot seem to do it right. There are...
Replies
Views
Looking for counsel / guidance to replace an original Dayton On/off with speed control switch. I’ve checked with a couple local electrical supply...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am installing a new bathroom fan. We had an electrician who ran 14/3 into a junction box. The black feeds a led light and the red was...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock