Discuss Switch mode power supplies?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Greetings.

I know that switch mode power supplies can create radio interference and also neutral harmonic currents but does anyone know why?

Does anyone know why the components inside the power supplies can cause radio interference and/or neutral harmonics?

Thanks very much.

Jump on Wiki and look up harmonics it will save me alot of writing as its very complex and tricky to explain in a simple format but Wiki does a good job in this case.

Thanks guys.

My question was more aimed at RF interference and why some LED bulbs interfere with DAB radio.

I have spent a couple of hours reading the WIKI page and it is very informative although I won't pretend to understand all of it I can see how cheap bulbs without the extra circuitry to filter out RF could cause this interference.

I struggle with electronics in general because I haven't really had any proper training in the subject.

The thing is 230V LED bulbs have to have all the components of a SMPS inside each bulb, it's an expensive way of doing it and the SMPS will be the thing that blows long before the LED ever does.

I think the best thing to do with LED replacements is go low voltage and buy a separate LED driver, one driver (SMPS) can drive 4 high power bulbs instead of each bulb having to have its own driver (SMPS).

If the separate driver (SMPS) goes Kaput it's only that item that needs replacing, so keep the bulbs simple and the driver separate that's what I reckon, what do you think?

Reply to Switch mode power supplies?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Cathodic Protection Station with Switching Power Supply for Buried Metal Structures Benefits of the Switchmode Cathodic Protection Rectifier...
Replies
Views
I am asking on behalf of a friend who has an outbuilding that he uses as an art studio, the building is fully insulated and is currently heated by...
Replies
Views
I have a box powering three 3-phase motors off of one 240V single phase line, NEMA 10-30. In the picture you can see a wiring diagram. The...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am currently DIY upgrading a caravan with my girlfriend but need some advice. The (very old) 230VAC to 13.8VDC power supply broke down...
Replies
Views
Hi, I would love some help understanding an issue I’m having on a 16mm SWA cable running from the CU in my house to the CU in the shed. I believe...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock