Discuss Switch on a Hager BS4293 RCCB? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

richy3333

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All.
I've been undertaking a PIR/EICR and the property has a load of old Hager BS4229 RCCBs on various boards. Can anyone tell me if this is a switch on a Hager BS4293 RCCB and if so, what it is for? I've spoken to Hager and sent them the photo and they don't know?! The switch is to the right of the 0/off position:
IMG_1636.jpg

Hi All.
I've been undertaking a PIR/EICR and the property has a load of old Hager BS4229 RCCBs on various boards. Can anyone tell me if this is a switch on a Hager BS4293 RCCB and if so, what it is for? I've spoken to Hager and sent them the photo and they don't know?! The switch is to the right of the 0/off position:
View attachment 9181

Of course it's a switch!!!! what do you think the I/ON and O/OFF positions are there for??
Errrr!! Maybe, the switch is there, ...to turn the unit on and off!!!

Just to clarify for those looking at the picture - there is what looks like a small black switch by the 0/off position. It looks as though it can be slid up and down? Naturally, I am familiar with the rotary isolation switch

Turns the RCD function off would be a good guess!!!

Do an RCD test on it, ...with it switched up, and then with it switched down.
That should confirm or otherwise....

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried Eng54. I couldn't get the 'switch' to move and didn't want to risk breaking the unit, particularly as they are no longer available. The unit also failed to trip at all when tested. Hence the reason for asking on the forum to see if anyone else knew what it was for?

I tried Eng54. I couldn't get the 'switch' to move and didn't want to risk breaking the unit, particularly as they are no longer available. The unit also failed to trip at all when tested. Hence the reason for asking on the forum to see if anyone else knew what it was for?

If the unit is U/S, there is no harm done trying to force it to move, as in it's present state your going to have to replace it anyway.

You may find the new style unit will just fit into the old position with little or no juggling ... lol!!

It looks like a standard 100mA RCCB with a rotary switch.
It needs to be tested on the 100mA range not at 30mA otherwise you will get false results.....

Oh BTW have you pressed the test button?

Last edited:
Yes it's been tested at 100mA range. Yes, the test button worked. But what about the little black switch...

Maybe that little black switch is an adjustable time delay or something similar. Maybe it's not a switch and it's a mechanical indicator that confirms power is on/off.

Marvo is right. It’s not a switch it’s an indicator!

We did have electricity before the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] came along. Most of the equipment was better made.

Hi Tony.
Many thanks for your clarification. Do you know what it is supposed to indicate? If I turn the RCCB off/on the indicator doesn't move. Likewise it doesn't budge when RCD tested? Whilst I was around before the 17th I've not come across this unit specific unit before, hence trying to seek clarification.

As to why it doesn’t move I don’t know, it should do. These units are donkey’s years old. I remember them from my apprenticeship days.
Like most things they got relabelled I remember them as Hackbridge Faraday

I think that like me age has caught up with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first “sensitive” E/L unit I fitted was a 3ph 60A 500mA unit. It was the size of a house brick!
My first house had two Crabtree 60A 500mA units feeding two Wylex 8 way boards, it was that modern! But it was bang up to date for it’s time. That was the 13/14[SUP]th[/SUP] edition, I can’t remember which.

My best guess is still a switch, you can clearly see the nail bars there. Still think that this switch is in the sensing coil circuit, to remove the RCD function, thus making the unit a standard isolator switch. Can't see what this would indicate if it was an indicator, the main switch on the unit would indicate itself when tripped or off. At the end of the day i don't know, and my guess is as good as anyone else's...lol!!

Whatever this switch or indicator is for, the unit is old and not functioning correctly so will need changing for a new RCD device no matter what it is....

The first “sensitive” E/L unit I fitted was a 3ph 60A 500mA unit. It was the size of a house brick!
My first house had two Crabtree 60A 500mA units feeding two Wylex 8 way boards, it was that modern! But it was bang up to date for it’s time. That was the 13/14[SUP]th[/SUP] edition, I can’t remember which.

Very few current operated devices about during the 13th ed, it would have to have been mid to late 14th ed. Don't even think the voltage operated devices were covered in the 13th, though possibly may have been in the last revision. I think it wasn't until maybe midway through the 14th that both current and voltage operated units were included... Memory is a strange thing as the years pass, so i may well be well out here...lol!!

I can only remember seeing any earth fault protection on switchboards, can't ever remember seeing RCD's installed in the industrial setting that i was in. Though they may have been incorporated on one or two of the newer bit of equipment that was continually being brought in. Just can't remember seeing them... lol!!

Many thanks for the useful information Eng54 and Tony. As I think I said I came across the unit(s) on a recent PIR. I think it is a switch also, but try as I might I can not get it to budge. The building is full of these 100mA and 300mA units and I thought it funny that Hager couldn't tell me what it was for! Lots of rectification work required so maybe I'll get to play around with it some more if I get the remedials.

Thanks again.

Richard

Looks like it's something that pops out into the back of the rotary switch to lock it off maybe?

Is there an indentation in the back of the rotary switch?

If it was an indicator wouldn't it be within the radius of the indicator hole?!

Last edited:

Reply to Switch on a Hager BS4293 RCCB? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net