Discuss Switch spur behind fridge what can you do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Delboy247

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I installed a switch spur behind fridge customer was not impressed, but what can you do in this situation I assured him it was perfectly fine, no cupboards next to fridge only way round it to make the fridge sit flush anyone else had a situation like this.

O

Octopus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
What does the switch spur control?

D

Delboy247

It controls the fridge itself it's not integrated as far as I knew it was a bog standard fridge apparently it's a deeper fridge far better than the others.

This doesnt make much sense I'm afraid, we cant really offer any advice when the details are very vague, why was he not impressed, what is that actual problem?...

D

Delboy247

Exactly my point when the fridge goes wrong who will disconnect it, I read the manual and it does state you can cut the plug off for this situation

J

jumpin jax

How often do fridges go wrong? Hardly ever really. It can always be isolated at the CU if its an emergency.

D

Delboy247

What about when they want to defrost it for cleaning purposes tragic.

J

jumpin jax

Most fridges have controls inside the door, not that tragic really

Nothing actually wrong with it as such, other than the customer may feel that if they ever want to replace it, or it needs to be removed for repair/new floor etc., they would then need an electrician to disconnect it.
I know that everyone has their own preferences, but I like to keep sockets in the fabric of the building, so will put the socket either behind the appliance (if there's room) with an isolator above the worktop, or behind an adjacent cupboard and cut a hole in the back for access. I realise these options weren't open to you and you did what was necessary, so you could always appease the customer by offering to disconnect it for free if that's ever required.

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Just change it for a single socket, put a plug back on the fridge cable and let the customer work out how to fit the fridge in.

A

Adam W

I believe it is customary to install the switched fused spur above the worktop, controlling an unswitched socket outlet under the worktop which the fridge plugs straight into.

.... Unless it's a trick question?

HandySparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I believe it is customary to install the switched fused spur above the worktop, controlling an unswitched socket outlet under the worktop which the fridge plugs straight into.

.... Unless it's a trick question?
I'm guessing that as it's not a built-in appliance, the OP intended to install just a socket, but as the fridge turned out to be deep one, was trying to help the customer out by fitting a SFS instead (lower profile than a plug and socket).

D

dim_bulb

Why not recess socket in wall I'm guessing it was surface switch spur?

G

Guest55

You made a decision that you thought was in the customers best interest , not your fault he has an awkward sized appliance , so dont beat yourself up over it pal.

A

Adam W

If you had reason to install it that way it's down to you to explain to the customer why you've installed it that way. You could end up in a massive argument which will end up with you saying 'well if I could have done that then I would have.
All part and parcel of dealing with the general public I'm afraid.

Reply to Switch spur behind fridge what can you do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom