Discuss Switch spur behind fridge what can you do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Delboy247

I installed a switch spur behind fridge customer was not impressed, but what can you do in this situation I assured him it was perfectly fine, no cupboards next to fridge only way round it to make the fridge sit flush anyone else had a situation like this.

It controls the fridge itself it's not integrated as far as I knew it was a bog standard fridge apparently it's a deeper fridge far better than the others.

Exactly my point when the fridge goes wrong who will disconnect it, I read the manual and it does state you can cut the plug off for this situation

How often do fridges go wrong? Hardly ever really. It can always be isolated at the CU if its an emergency.

Nothing actually wrong with it as such, other than the customer may feel that if they ever want to replace it, or it needs to be removed for repair/new floor etc., they would then need an electrician to disconnect it.
I know that everyone has their own preferences, but I like to keep sockets in the fabric of the building, so will put the socket either behind the appliance (if there's room) with an isolator above the worktop, or behind an adjacent cupboard and cut a hole in the back for access. I realise these options weren't open to you and you did what was necessary, so you could always appease the customer by offering to disconnect it for free if that's ever required.

I believe it is customary to install the switched fused spur above the worktop, controlling an unswitched socket outlet under the worktop which the fridge plugs straight into.

.... Unless it's a trick question?

I believe it is customary to install the switched fused spur above the worktop, controlling an unswitched socket outlet under the worktop which the fridge plugs straight into.

.... Unless it's a trick question?

I'm guessing that as it's not a built-in appliance, the OP intended to install just a socket, but as the fridge turned out to be deep one, was trying to help the customer out by fitting a SFS instead (lower profile than a plug and socket).

You made a decision that you thought was in the customers best interest , not your fault he has an awkward sized appliance , so dont beat yourself up over it pal.

If you had reason to install it that way it's down to you to explain to the customer why you've installed it that way. You could end up in a massive argument which will end up with you saying 'well if I could have done that then I would have.
All part and parcel of dealing with the general public I'm afraid.

I know that this doesn't help, but I always talk a customer through how I plan to do each job. The number of times I get "oh, I don't want it done like that!", then we manage to find a good compromise, has saved me a world of hassle in the past. Although we are the professionals, and sometimes there are limited options, it is still their home at the end of the day.

I know that this doesn't help, but I always talk a customer through how I plan to do each job. The number of times I get "oh, I don't want it done like that!", then we manage to find a good compromise, has saved me a world of hassle in the past. Although we are the professionals, and sometimes there are limited options, it is still their home at the end of the day.

I always do this with the position of downlights!

Is there an adjacent cupboard you could put it in. I am not being picky, but this does contravene some reg or other with regard to disconnecting in an emergency, or for maintenance etc. I agree with others, fridges dont go wrong often (unless you IR the ring with it connected like i did) and most self defrost, but you can never say never.

Regards,

Howard

well thats consultation with a customer isn`t it......the same would apply to that imposed on an inspection & test....as in `limitations`....

Rule No. 1 - The customer is always clueless and their wishes / ideas should be ignored at all costs.

If i decide that 32way 400v dis-board is to be fitted above a lounge fireplace its because i've used my highly honed engineering judgement and it shouldnt dared to be questioned thank you very much.
;-D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Switch spur behind fridge what can you do in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock