Discuss switch using water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I want to use water to switch on a 12 volt buzzer in my car. A container with 2 contacts, when water is added the circuit is made and the buzzer sounds. Is this possible ,practical. Your help will be appreciated

What is the exact purpose of this engineering project?
[automerge]1577724592[/automerge]
Got me baffled

Last edited:
Water sensing circuits are available as product, from literally pennies for a hobby grade circuit, up to hundreds of pounds for an industrial unit e.g. for boiler water level control. Beware any uber-simplistic approach that puts DC across the electrodes as this causes electrolysis; all proper circuits use AC. Note that there are other ways to detect the liquid that don't pass a current through it, such as ultrasonics (e.g. Squing), optical, and the good old float switch.

Just search for water level sensor!

It's unlikely just water will conduct electricity enough to complete the circuit. You'd be better making a small circuit with a transistor, a potentiometer and a couple of resistors.

Reply to switch using water in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

So was on a call out today and cooker circuit kept tripping the RCD. Disconnected at the board and at the cooker switch and IR’d the cable and...
Replies
Views
Good Afternoon All, I moved into a flat around 2 months ago. A few times only (maybe four times in the two months) I've turned on the kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I own a country Villa out in the Spain countryside. Was having problems with water pressure so local tradesmen advised to get a water...
Replies
Views
hello all. I am trying to add led strip lights to my boat trailer. I have marine grade submersible lights. I will have them running parallel to...
Replies
Views
Need help with a quote here. I’m wanting some sound advice. Was called out to the hot water not working so repaired the issue within the panel...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock