Discuss switch wire for pendant in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

powerelec

In Ireland we run a 1.5 mm brown and brown and cpc from the pendant to the switch as you are never allowed use the blue from a t&e, is this the case for the UK or do you still run brown and blue and mark the blue as a phase ??

We use the blue, with brown sleeving at the ends to indicate it can become live.
It is usually brown permanent live and sleeveed blue for switched live.
Saves having to order an extra type of cable as well.

Can use either in the UK. The latter being much more common. Maybe it's what you're used to but I prefer brown and sleeved blue so you always know which is permanent live and which is switched live (downside is you often find the sleeving missing.) I always connect Permanent live to the COM terminal on switches and the switched live to L1, L2 etc. Do you just wire them any way around or do you somehow mark switched live?

With the demise of the humble ceiling rose it is becoming more and more common to link through the switches, but yes it is still common practice to do it as you describe.

Reply to switch wire for pendant in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all. Yesterday I wired in my 3 phase compressor to run off our 53kva generator. I just need to know which colour cable is for which phase as...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone :) my first post here. Quick background I'm a newly qualified installer of somewhat advanced years whose just starting out in the...
Replies
Views
Hey - I had a workman come round this morning and he had to detatch the light switches. Afterwards, he put them back on again, but something seems...
Replies
Views
A builder friend calls me up to have a look at a "strange situation". He points at a joint box above and outside a back door. "Old outside light?"...
Replies
Views
I want to install smart light switch into the wall socket that currently has a normal light switch. The smart switch requires a neutral wire which...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock