Discuss Switch Wiring Problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MidsomerDave

Can anyone help, please?
I have lived here in Portugal for 8 years and understand that following the wiring colour code changes that happened in the UK during 2004/2006 the codes for both countries are the same for fixed mono phase installations (Brown, Blue and Green/Yellow). I´m not an electrician but would like to know what the OFFICIAL way is to wire a domestic switch. What colour should the wire be on the switched side? I have looked at many sites and the answers vary between continuing using the brown as far as the light, using the blue but with brown sleeving at each end, and one suggested using a separate colour altogether! Can anyone clear this up please? Sorry if this seems a bit trivial for you experts, but no-one here seems to know!! Thanks, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Here in the uk, we use standard twin and earth (brown and blue), for the circuits and the switch drops.

With the switch drops, the switched line return to the fitting is sleeved brown at both ends, switch and fitting.

Only reason being is that you will always have a roll of 1 or 1.5mm on the go.

Twin brown is available but is very rarely used, if at all.

Thanks for that, Jason. Seems the most logical thing to do...using the same roll of cable but with a bit of sleeving. Thanks again, Dave.

Hi Dave,

Here in the uk, we use standard twin and earth (brown and blue), for the circuits and the switch drops.

With the switch drops, the switched line return to the fitting is sleeved brown at both ends, switch and fitting.

hi jason before we changed to the brown + blue i worked in gallway we used
twin brown and earth for switch drops i have never seen it in the uk
where can you get it here ?

Last edited:
hi jason before we changed to the brown + blue i worked in gallway we used
twin brown and earth for switch drops i have never seen it in the uk
where can you get it here ?

I worked in Ireland about 5 years ago.
On two-way lighting, the sparks used a twin-brown for the strappers and a 1.5 double insulated single core for the common. Took me aback when I first saw it, but it's the same as using a three core & earth I suppose.

Hi Dave,

Speak for yourself my friend! I have always used twin brown,and twin red way back when.But then we wouldn't use 1mm either.Each to their own.

agree, we use brown and blue t&e and sleeve the blue with brown sleeving, why we ever changed our colours anyway was stupid as what could be more clearer than Red/Yellow/Blue /Black, why didn,t they change to our colours in Europe?

I think that using 1mm is ok as is 1.5 all down to the loads you want out of it, if like us we only use 1.5, we do that purely because sometimes we have done installs and yrs down the line they want extra,s then we have a little spare and dosn,t mess the decor up. Its like using shallow swich boxes against 1" deep ones, we always use the 1" ones then sometimes a dimmer sw or something will fit. does,nt make it wrong or right just preference

Any reason why not?

:)

No good ones,mainly habit,I guess. I seem to remember our tech teacher steering us away from using 1.0mm.I think when using 1.0mm the maximum circuit length on a type B breaker is about 35m,whereas with 1.5 it is over 50m(could be rubbish,going from memory here)And the fear was someone coming along later and extending the circuit. Other possible reason was that at that time there was less problems if your installation design was to the on site guide and I think there used not to be any tables
for 1.0mm except for use with rewireable fuses which we were trying to get away from. Other possible reasons 1.0mm did not have a basec accredation. But mainly I suppose its got to do more with specifiers of council house work specifying 1.5mm minimum and also most of my work would be of a commercial nature.;)

Agree t/e sleeve n brown unless your using the dreded trunking then can use brown singles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason why not?

:)

hi there

may i draw your attention to appendix 7 of the big red book page 342
introduction the bit about cable identification

to mee that says ok we have harmonized colours but anything will do provided it is identified

think this is to cover older installations stuff from other countries and sparkies who run out of twin red cable lol

opinions
please:confused:

Thanks for that everyone...seems the general consensus is that brown sleeving on a switched blue wire is acceptable then. Maybe it´s a matter of preference, just as long as it´s not WRONG! Just for information all domestic lighting circuits here in Portugal are 1.5mm. Thanks again. Dave.

i have always used 1.5 buider has supplied 1.0 i used it for switch drops and sent him
back for 1.5 this is just the way it was done from day one however if you read the manufacturers instructions on elv tranformers 1.5 cable min
so 1.0 would not comply

Reply to Switch Wiring Problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock