• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Switched live connected to neutral on lamp in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This electrician job is going for grabs, please don't post contact details in this area of the forum. Use the forum messaging system instead.

Beeg

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here after some advice.

I’m in the process of replacing my landing light and when disconnecting the old one I noticed that the SW live was connected to neutral on the lamp and the circuit neutrals connected to live on the lamp.

I am aware that normally the SW live would go to live on the lamp and all the neutrals would be connected together. However the lamp has worked fine for the 3 years we’ve been in the house. Just wondering if I should change the connections? Or could it be that the wrong cable has been identified for SW live?
It’s 2 way lighting if that makes any difference.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ben

17E032DB-4BDA-41E7-A4F7-95F5371C7664.jpeg

It should not affect lamp operation although some led lamps can be polarity biased. Yes you should reconnect it when you fit the new light but I have to say those block connectors are a poor means of connection especially if they are shoved up into the ceiling cavity as is poses a real fire risk.

Do you have the equipment to test which is the actual switches live or not and know how to practice safe isolation? If yes to both it’s worth changing if incorrect as depending on the bulb holder type having reverse polarity exposes live parts for unwary fingers when changing a bulb. If no to one or more questions just be wary when changing a bulb and get someone qualified to assist.

Edit:- and what Westward10 said re the blocks too!

With all due respect to you and the guys that have answered your post, if you are that unsure of what you are doing, then I would recommend you employ the services of an Electrician, messing with something you know little about, can, and will be dangerous.
Whilst members of the forum try and help where we can, offering advice to a DIY er can prove hazardous, after all if advice is given, and not understood, what would you think? you think you are competent, but in reality you aren't, do yourself a favour and get a professional electrician in to help, it shouldn't cost more than an hours work and save you the heartache of wondering, about the work you have done.
Others may mock but my experience tells me you need some help.

Hi all,

Newbie here after some advice.

I’m in the process of replacing my landing light and when disconnecting the old one I noticed that the SW live was connected to neutral on the lamp and the circuit neutrals connected to live on the lamp.

I am aware that normally the SW live would go to live on the lamp and all the neutrals would be connected together. However the lamp has worked fine for the 3 years we’ve been in the house. Just wondering if I should change the connections? Or could it be that the wrong cable has been identified for SW live?
It’s 2 way lighting if that makes any difference.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Ben

View attachment 39344
Were are you located? someone local to you may may be able to help you out.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I understand how it should be wired up but just wanted to know whether there was any safety issues in it being connected as it was - thanks DJ Ovengloves for explanation of exposed parts being live when changing bulbs.
Westward, what do you use instead of the chocolate block connectors?

Thanks again
Beeg

If there is adequate room in the base of the fitting,the connector blocks are ok

To put the connections into the ceiling
This is one means
Chocbox - https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/chocbox/54936?tc=FB8&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkrGP2-3D1wIVAfEbCh2Fjgp5EAQYAiABEgL6vvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CN2MnKfuw9cCFWml7QodFNEFAg

You can use a piece of flex to feed back to the fitting

or

20A 3 Pin Push Junction Box / Connector (male&female) - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLCT101C.html?source=adwords&ad_position=1o2&ad_id=45425533757&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=&ad_type=pla&product_id=TLCT101C&product_partition_id=174056232067&test=finalurl_v2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiM3V6O3D1wIVBLgbCh22-QEZEAQYAiABEgLm_PD_BwE

I came across switched neutrals once as an apprentice in a school rewire job. Was told to cut down the pendants and save the lamp shades, big metal dome things... Was told the power was off, 'cos the lights were off... just cut through the flex and take down the pendants.

Can you see where I'm going with this yet?

Earth in the pendant flex too..... My first pair of pliers ruined.

Reply to Switched live connected to neutral on lamp in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net