Discuss Switched spur in bathroom....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

screech

Guys, I need to settle an argument with a colleague with the location of a towel rail spur....

As per table and fig 8.1 in the OSG, switched fuse spur can be installed for a towel rail outside of the zones...?

I understand sockets need to be 3m from the bath or shower, to allow for the flex.... but i don't see a switched spur as a socket.......

Cheers.

Er....

Are sockets allowed in a bathroom then!

Surely that just applies to 'A room containing a shower'.

Don't think I'd be putting a socket in a bathroom for anyone.

But to the original question, from memory as long as it's outside zones then a fused connection is ok.

Check BGB tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
A switched spur is NOT a socket, however I wouldn't put one too close to a bath or shower either, but they can be within 3m of a bath,

Don't have my regs at my side but I think they can be anywhere outside zones 0, 1 and 2

Switched spurs (FCU) anywhere outside of the zones, so over 600mm from edge of bath (not sure I totally agree with this bit, but that's what the book says)

Socket outlets 3m from the edge of the bath

If you've got the OSG how is there an argument mate?

Because apparently its not clear enough as it doesn't specifically say.

Er....

Are sockets allowed in a bathroom then!

Yes they are - 3m from the boundary of zone 1.

A switched spur is NOT a socket, however I wouldn't put one too close to a bath or shower either, but they can be within 3m of a bath,

Don't have my regs at my side but I think they can be anywhere outside zones 0, 1 and 2

This is my argument, you don't plug anything into a spur - its permanently connected! The towel rail can be in zone 2 but the spur needs to be outside zones.

I think some people expect toilet paper to jump out the books and wipe their arse for them!

cheers

You don't happen to know that reg number off the top of your head do you screech?

Still don't think i'll be adding sockets in bnathrooms, allowed or not.

Thing is its not only bathrooms, could be room containing bath or shower, so could include bedrooms with shower cubicle in the corner

Cheers Andy,

I better have a look at that one.

up here in Lancashire there's not many bathrooms with 3m between bath and wall!!

I know about the rooms with shower but didn't think it included actual bathrooms.

Learn somet new everyday!

Nowt wrong with a spur in a bathroom long as its outside zones. People always look gobsmacked when I tell them they can have a lightswitch in their bathroom if they like (I generally tend to put them outside anyway just to protect myself from slander at the hands of less well informed people)

Nowt wrong with a spur in a bathroom long as its outside zones. People always look gobsmacked when I tell them they can have a lightswitch in their bathroom if they like (I generally tend to put them outside anyway just to protect myself from slander at the hands of less well informed people)

A chap recently questioned me on a PIR about the battenholder I replaced in his toilet, he said 'I don't think thats allowed now mate because the baths above it and if the bath leaks it would get wet' !

Sockets in a bathroom.....light switches in bathrooms....switch fused spurs in bathrooms......the more i read here the more i'm convinced the 17th edition has taken many steps backwards in my personal opinion.

Think i'll still stick to sockets,switch fused spurs or light switches (except the ugly pullswitch) outside a bathroom meself to avoid any damp fingers flicking them around (also take into account an extract fan that doesn't work properly turning the bathroom into a steam room)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaps just a point here to raise, and I have been guilty of this myself so hands up.
It seems ofton that as soon as we enter a 'Special location' we seem to focus on the particular regulations for that location, to the detriment of more other 'General' regulations, I will give you an example such as this question by the OP. he is quite rightly applying section 7, but what about part 5 selection and erection of equipment > Chapter 52 page 123. 522/522.3/522.3.1 I could go on, but my point is that just because an accessory can be fitted outside a zone it must still be suitable for any external influence that you can reasonably foresee that may be placed upon it, so do you think an accessory might get condensation in it or splashed/sprayed ? thats for the sparks to decide but I hope you see my point.

J

Because apparently its not clear enough as it doesn't specifically say.

Yes they are - 3m from the boundary of zone 1.

This is my argument, you don't plug anything into a spur - its permanently connected! The towel rail can be in zone 2 but the spur needs to be outside zones.

I think some people expect toilet paper to jump out the books and wipe their arse for them!

but what is the regulation on bog roll. is it allowed inside the zones, or does it have to be enclosed and accessible only by means of a tool or a key?

Reply to Switched spur in bathroom....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net