Discuss Switched to LED GU10 bulbs - dimmer problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

MadDoc

Hello,

I had my house completely rewired 5 years ago. At that time I had 12 GU10 35W halogen spotlights fitted in my lounge, controlled by a simple rotary dimmer switch.

I have just replaced the bulbs with 12 5W dimmable GU10 spotlight LED bulbs. They work but there are two problems:

1. The range of "dimmability" is really narrow. When the dimmer is turned right down, they are still pretty darn bright (I don't think they are dimming much at all).
2. When I turn the lights on by clicking the dimmer switch, they flicker a lot unless the switch is turned to at least halfway on. Once on, I can turn the dimmer down and they don't flicker.

Do I need to replace the switch with a special one for LED bulbs? Is this just a straightforwards swap if so or a more major job that would need an electrician to help with?

Thanks,

Select a new dimmer with care. Some may not like having 12 lamps to dim!

You need a dimmer switch with a minimum wattage loading of say 40 watts to be compatible with your lamps (bulbs). Hamilton and Varilight are good brands.

Hello,

I had my house completely rewired 5 years ago. At that time I had 12 GU10 35W halogen spotlights fitted in my lounge, controlled by a simple rotary dimmer switch.

I have just replaced the bulbs with 12 5W dimmable GU10 spotlight LED bulbs. They work but there are two problems:

1. The range of "dimmability" is really narrow. When the dimmer is turned right down, they are still pretty darn bright (I don't think they are dimming much at all).
2. When I turn the lights on by clicking the dimmer switch, they flicker a lot unless the switch is turned to at least halfway on. Once on, I can turn the dimmer down and they don't flicker.

Do I need to replace the switch with a special one for LED bulbs? Is this just a straightforwards swap if so or a more major job that would need an electrician to help with?

Thanks,

just replace the dimmer module for a varilte led dimmer, i use these alot, they are generally good and work with most led lamps

i get mine from TLC, they are good from 10w to 100w, i have personally put up to 15 on one dimmer no problems at all

I use the varilight as others have suggested, they are easily programmable and you can set the upper and lower limits of brightness so giving you the range of dimming that you would expect BUT... and here lies the problem they will only (for reasons unknown to me) handle a maximum of 10 units (nothing to do with total wattage) more than this it will not work properly, this is the same for (as far as i know) all other led dimmers as well. I have had similar problems in the past.
can you split into two circuits or remove two led units?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Picked up an LED dimmer from Screwfix with a minimum load of 10W. Everything works fine now.

Reply to Switched to LED GU10 bulbs - dimmer problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock