Discuss Switches Brands in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

NathanMorgan

I'm currently in the process of a house refurb and next on my to-do list is light switches and wall sockets.

I've narrowed it down to two brands which are MK & Crabtree and Screwfix stock both at reasonable prices.

Which brand shall I go for?

- Nathan

mk is overpriced crap, screws constantly fail when tightened. screwfix marbo range is actually quite good when comes to white accessories.

and to add to the confusion, BG Nexus are a good alternative.

Don't buy Screwfix rubbish.

I use BG mainly.

Just remember a few pounds saved on install, could end up costing you loads when things start failing.

I like there flat plate stuff but they have started writing Schneider on the metal finish and I don't know why I think Schneider as a name must be on of the worst component names going
Also there cheap stuff ain't good
Omega from cef ain't bad

After having used MK for the majority of the projects i've been involved on, i've have had a change this time round to Crabtree. So far, i have been pleased with the quality and after sales service the contractor has been afforded...

MK like so many other successful companies that once produced a top brand range of accessories, they seem to have let the company accountants take over. Unfortunately once that happens quality takes a nose dive in favour of profit, they don't seem to care much about brand decline either. lol!!

I have had to return a few MK accesories, mainly switches, when I damaged the screw trying to turn it from the suplied backed out position. A real pain when it is the last one I have on the van. Apart from that I like the MK accessories. I will have to give Crabtree a go.

Take a look at Hager and Click Scolmore, too.

Ha ha, i've never heard of most of the manufactures names being put forward here!! I did know Marbo, and if it's the same people as i remember, it was a cheap load of crap in those days. Can't really comment on todays offerings mind, all may have changed for the better, though that would bucking the modern tend!! lol!!

schneider for square corners. BG nexus for the rounded beasties. that's my preference.

On the subject of Schneider Electrics....

We've recently had a Schneider Electrics Easy 9 consumable unit installed to replace an old fuse box.

What's your opinions on the Easy 9?

I use all Hager accesssories now. I don't offer a cheap or expensive option to my customers in white plastic anymore.
Really good quality good looking gear that ticks all the boxes.

On the subject of Schneider Electrics....

We've recently had a Schneider Electrics Easy 9 consumable unit installed to replace an old fuse box.

What's your opinions on the Easy 9?

nice board. only fitted 1 and liked it.

I wasn't a big fan of the easy 9 board, felt cheap and nasty (compared to other Schneider kit which I am a fan of).

I agree with E54 re MK, always used to fit it until about 2 years ago when quality dropped right off, now mainly fit GET or Hager white plastic, and I have changed so many failed Crabtree switches and sockets that I would avoid them as well! Overpriced tack IMO.

BG isn't too bad, but I can buy Hager for cheaper and it is better looking if you ask me!

Reply to Switches Brands in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net