Discuss Switching 6kW load with 7 day programmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

peterhanson

I need to switch 2No 3kW heaters on using a 7 day heating programmer. Presumably I'll need a contactor to switch that load rather than the heating programmer (?).
Can anyone recommend a suitable one? Many thanks if anyone can help,
Peter

2 x 3 pole contactors rated at 3kw each maybe? Unless of course it's single phase where a 2 pole rated at 3kw would work. Of course that assumes it's just a plain old resistive load.

2 x 3 pole contactors rated at 3kw each maybe? Unless of course it's single phase where a 2 pole rated at 3kw would work. Of course that assumes it's just a plain old resistive load.
Thanks Dave,- its single phase, so could I use a single 6kW contactor?

The heating load is actually 6kW, provided by 2 No 3kW convector heaters,- so I suppose I could use 2 x 3kW contactors or a single 6kW contactor ,- which I imagine will be cheaper (?)

The heating load is actually 6kW, provided by 2 No 3kW convector heaters,- so I suppose I could use 2 x 3kW contactors or a single 6kW contactor ,- which I imagine will be cheaper (?)

Why not just use one contactor rated for 3KW? The smallest you'll likely get off the shelf at a wholesaler is going to be a 20A 2 pole I would have thought so why not go with that? That'll switch 2x single phase circuits

use a 4 pole contactor 2 for the L's and 2 for the N's.

Thanks telectrix,
So that way I could switch on two heaters with the one contactor with one live and one neutral to each (?)
In your experience would the supply from the programmer to the contactor always be 240V?
Peter

They can get hot so if you can install it with space around it, all the better. Which might make two 3kW ones better, just depends what make you get, what enclosure they're going in, where its going.....

or Tels idea with space around it

Get a 230v programmer (vast majority are, some need links added some don't) and a 20A contactor with a 230v coil. Sounds like a really simple job tbh

Thanks telectrix,
So that way I could switch on two heaters with the one contactor with one live and one neutral to each (?)
In your experience would the supply from the programmer to the contactor always be 240V?
Peter

You can use a 2 pole contactor to switch both, or you can use a 3, 4, 6 or any number of poles but you'll need 2 as a minimum. Unless there is a particular reason why you need 4 poles that is.

The switched live to the coil will need to be at the rated voltage of the coil.

All these questions are making me wonder whether you are a trainee or a non-electrical tradesman?

Well for definite, he has very limited experience of using contactors. It's a bit late to wonder whether or not he knows what he's doing after he has been given his advice.

Reply to Switching 6kW load with 7 day programmer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock