Discuss Switching a fan... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Afternoon chaps,
Currently workingOn the design for a reasonably up market hotel. The clienthas decided upon having baths in the bedroom, Partitioned off by a half heightwall (It’s all the rage, apparently). We require vent for above the bath and Iwas trying to figure the best way to switch it. It can’t really go on with the lightas its the light for the main room, so wont always be on when people arebathing and vice versa.
At the moment the plan is looking like a pir in the halfheight wall, however this worries me as it may pick up people walking past thebath, or in the general area.

I was initiallythinking of some sort of float switch in the bath, Once it’s triggered the fancomes on, however the bath manufacturers may not be keen on installing such aswitch in their baths. Or is there somesort of ‘flow detection’ switch that can be installed within the pipework tothe bath, so when the water starts running the fan can come on? (The fans will be on an overrun timer)

or fit a humidistat fan.only comes on when the place steams up.

ultrasonic mounted flush in ceiling above bath to detect water level or mass flow meter in water line?
Have a look at endress and hauser web site

Last edited by a moderator:
the purpose of the fan is not that. it's to remove damp air and prevent damage caused by same. methane does not cause damage and will disperse naturally, unless some silly arse lights it.

the purpose of the fan is not that. it's to remove damp air and prevent damage caused by same. methane does not cause damage and will disperse naturally, unless some silly arse lights it.

You've clearly not been in my 'cloakroom' on a sunday morning.....

To the OP...I'd go careful not to over complicate things. A well placed PIR/proximity sensor,or as Tel suggested a humidstat. Personally I have found humidistats unreliable,the fan seems to run constantly or not at all!

If it is bath only you are venting an alternative to your float switch idea would be a pipe stat on the Hw pipe to the bath. Fan switches on when heat is detected as bath is filled.

Having had the misfortune of installing a number of humidistat fans, Then having to go back and replace them with timer fans I am sceptical of them, They never seem to work as required. Also our mechanical designer isn't keen on the idea, simply because if you get a few people in a room, (doing what people do in hotel rooms) on a warm night, with no windows open the fan will be on and off.

I think I'll see what PIR's I can find and see if there is anything that may be selective enough. If not I'll look into some sort of flow sensor.

I too have found humidistat fans a bit hit and miss. If there is not enough airflow to clear the moisture through the fan quickly, the moisture can saturate the sensor and take an age to dry out leaving the fan on for ages. I think it may be the best viable solution for this job though, an certainly the simplest.

How has making the hotel room a location containing a bath affected the placing of socket outlets in the design ?

Float switch is over complicating thing a little. Pull switch? Daz

How has making the hotel room a location containing a bath affected the placing of socket outlets in the design ?[/QUOTE]

No socket outlets within 3m of the boundary of zone 1 also would question the half wall for positioning of the bath as it would need to be over 2.25m to avoid any boundary spilling over into the room, depending where the bath is of course.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

How has making the hotel room a location containing a bath affected the placing of socket outlets in the design ?

Luckily, not much, The layout of the room means sockets can be kept away from the bath, That said I do need to check the height of the partition wall as some sockets are on the other side.

How about a nice little 'Mood Lighting' luminaire the hotel guest would feel obliged to turn on when using the bath, linking the fan to that. (All this talk of roses, makes my mind wander).

Failing that, switch marked fan?

Wot about if they go and have a number two's in the toilet!

I assumed they would just be having the bath in the bedroom, not a toilet as well!? Imagine if you had polite company, or if a couple were staying, one was trying to watch the telly while the other one was on the throne.

Would a constant flow ducted system work? Maybe 2 fans with an automatic changeover extracting several rooms on one floor?

I assumed they would just be having the bath in the bedroom, not a toilet as well!? Imagine if you had polite company, or if a couple were staying, one was trying to watch the telly while the other one was on the throne.
Your being too proudest, your not truly in love if you can't have a dump in front of your loved one.
Switching a fan... Awesome-master-bedroom-ensuite-bathroom-open-plan-bathroom-design-ideas - EletriciansForums.net
:rolleyes4:

Would a constant flow ducted system work? Maybe 2 fans with an automatic changeover extracting several rooms on one floor?

An episode of Father Ted springs to mind there.

They are, For the minute at least Only having a bath in the rooms, The toilet and sink will be located in the en suite...

We've had a look at some sort of constant vent system for the whole building, But due to space issues this isn't possible.

Reply to Switching a fan... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock