Discuss Switching another plug socket on in the next room makes TV screen jump. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

liz9

My husband switched on his stereo in the next room and the TV screen went blank for a few seconds then returned to the channel it was on.The plug sockets for the TV and Stereo on on the same side of the wall of each room with just the wall dividing them about 3 foot apart.Would I need to get an Electrician out?it's never done this before.Nothing has blown and the electric box has the different circuit areas for each part of the house.This was put in in 2007.

If it's a fairly new TV I would say it's just the TV playing up, and I'd keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.
From an electrician's point of view it could be that the sockets are on a radial and plugging something in further up the line could have dislodged a loose connection, but simply switching it on shouldn't do that.

I would just keep an eye on it to see if it happens again.

Sell your house and move out as quickly as possible! Just kidding, as Adam said, it doesnt sound like anything to worry about, just keep your eye on it

It could be RFI, the switch in the socket could be arcing and the resultant RFI could have caused a temporary blockage of the very fragile and totally ineffective digital transmission...If you were watching Sky or TV over the internet then this would not be the case as RFI would not interfere with the signal.

My first instinct would be to experiment a little and see if it does it when you use the socket with other items plugged in. If it only does it when the stereo is switched on then my money would be on that being the cause, it is does it when anything is switched on in that socket then I would suggest calling in a local sparky to replace the socket face plate with a new one.

Low-ish voltage that dips when the other thing is switched on, making the TV reset when the voltage goes below what it can cope with?

Reply to Switching another plug socket on in the next room makes TV screen jump. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock