Discuss Switching arrangement in bedroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
I am renovating my own house at the moment and want to bounce an idea off of you all

I need to wire a socket high level on the wall at the bottom of the bed for a tv on the wall. I want to be able to switch this off as the tv has an anoying led that lights up the room. Im going to install a 2oamp DP switch at the side of the bed controlling this. Im also installing switches for the room lights so it will be like you get in hotel rooms.

The question is

Do I wire a spur off of the socket circuit into a grid DP switch and then also have the 1 gang switch for the lighting.

Im just thinking it will be a lot of cables in a single backbox 2x 2.5mm and 2 possibly 3x 1mm cables and 2 circuits present.

or do I just power the double socket behind the TV from the lighting circuit hence no 2.5mm cables in the single back box. Not a fan of putting sockets on a lighting circuit.

I had thought of using a contactor but I'm wiring the sockets and switches from the bedroom floor as I have the floor up so there is nowhere to put a contactor

Just thought I would ask opinions or thoughts.

Cheers

Spur off the socket circuit and a bit of black tape to cover the offending TV led ... but I am a bit lazy round home.
rough arse. use sleeving , or black sharpie.. :D

Looking to keep switches to a minimum and have both on one switch plate

It's not against the Regs to have 2 different circuits in one backbox, but some of us think it's bad practice. Certainly you will be introducing a hazard and I would add a warning sticker inside the box to cover myself.

Telectrix's idea of a smart adaptor is a good one, but if the TV socket is high up on the wall and probably on show then they are non too pretty - and you'd keep losing the remote.

You could always use an Elexa voice activated smart socket, but I suppose during moments of heightened excitement you'd switch on the telly and scare yourself with the shipping forecast.

Reply to Switching arrangement in bedroom in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net