Discuss switching/fire interface? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

hsuelec77

hello, need some advice going to be wiring a shop, all switches will be located adjacent to db near front entrance behind counter. Mainly open plan layout,there is a rear entrance which will be used at times, need to provide switching at rear entrance, should i just 2 way a row of lights in the middle by using a 2way keyswitch (using keyswitch cus potenial customers would operate normal switch).This way he could have sufficent light whilst walking to the bank of switches for the shop.Would this be my best option?
Also need to wire fire alarm but requires interfacing with another on th 1st floor. its been ages since i did fire alarm installs how would i go about doing this?

many thanks :cool:

Basically run the circuits you want to isolate upon leaving through a contactor (normally in an extension box above the DB) energize the coil with a keyswitch near the door, so when leaving flick the keyswitch to open the circuit breaking the feed to the contactor coil, opening the contactor and knocking out the lights. This way you could leave all the shop light switches on when you leave, and just operate the keyswitch to turn them off, and same in the morning, using the keyswitch to turn them on.

cool m8 good idea, i will put all main lights on contactor triggered by keyswitch, keyswitch at front and rear 2 wayed. As long as the client is happy having the whole lot on 1 keyswitch, otherwise will have to provide extra contactors and more keyswiches.thanks

Any idea on my situation with the fire alarm?

You wouldn't have to solely operate the lights from the k/s, you can still operate the lights from light switches. A 2-wayed k/s, front to back, controlling the feed/s to the switch bank.

On the fire alarm situation, it's all dependent on whether for panel has the correct input/outputs then you may need the use of a relay/s. What fire alarm system is it? conventional? Addressable? etc

ok m8 lighting sorted, its a conventional panel old ctec on the 1st floor, my new panel for grd floor shop will be provided with inputs and outputs.

Without looking it's difficult as it depends if the panels have auxiliary output contacts. We have done an installation before and linked to panels together by Running a 4 core FP between the two panels. Then on panel 1 zone 1 connects to the auxiliary contact on panel 2. Panel 2 zone 1 connects to auxiliary contact on panel 1. And they talk to each other that way. But theres other ways such as repeater panels and the use of relays from sounder outputs. There are some guys that do fire alarm installs all the time, so they will be more clued up than me, i'd wait to see if any of them shed some light.

thanks for your help m8, will see if i get any replys from others if not will call tech department for ctec on monday morning.

Reply to switching/fire interface? in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock