Discuss Switching non timer extraction fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Can't seem to find anything in the regs but I have been asked to fit an extractor fan in a small cupboard containing some IT equipment which gets quite warm and it's just to dissipate heat out of the cupboard. My question is, as it's a fan without run on timer I am using T&E to power it and just wondering of its ok to use a standard 10 amp one way switch to isolate. Just wondering if I need to wire it so to isolate both line and neutral or whether it's ok to just isolate the line conductor as I don't seem to be able to source a double pole switch under 20 amps.

Thanks

Last edited:
Many manufacturers require fusing down to 3 amps. Are you taking a feed from lighting or power circuit - if the latter, it'll need fused down anyway? Doesn't require DP switching/isolation imo.

Would just one extractor do the job as you will need air flow in and out of the server room to cool it down and I would not think running a small extract fan for a long time would last very long, as they are normally only on for short periods of time may be worth checking the manufactures Instructions.

It will be wired from the lighting circuit and she wants it to run 24/7 unless she decides to switch off. Still waiting for supplier to get fan so don't know yet if manufacturers state fusing or not. Will have to make that decision at the time. Don't suppose I could use a 20 amp switch fuse with 3 amp fuse to cover all bases.

Would just one extractor do the job as you will need air flow in and out of the server room to cool it down and I would not think running a small extract fan for a long time would last very long, as they are normally only on for short periods of time may be worth checking the manufactures Instructions.
It is just one fan and also fitting a air transfer grill in the door to let cool air in.

I would go with Rob's suggestion. running 24/7 may be unnecessary , depending on the usage and situation.

Last edited:

Reply to Switching non timer extraction fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net