• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Symbol on new lightbulb - Crossed through bulb? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought some new lightbulbs the other day (photo attached).

On the packaging is a symbol of a bulb in a house, crossed through.

Please can anyone advise what the symbol means?

Thanks in anticipation!

Symbol on new lightbulb - Crossed through bulb? IMG_0645 - EletriciansForums.net

I think it means don't use it in domestic areas, as judging by the energy rating, it's poor. They (government, Green Party ?) want you to uses energy efficient lamps. Anyway 40watts for one bulb?.? I'm all LED now so my entire usage will be about that!

It's probably an industrial one, for inspection lamps etc. They were exempt from the recent regs. Heavy duty filament, will, no doubt, outlast some of these modern leds. Solid British engineering.

Yep,i would say old stock,but not old enough not to have that marking...

Funny,but i know a rake of people,who swore the would be stocking up on filament lamps,and balls to the EU or whoever,who now are 90% or more converted to LED :)

I have a pal,who gets all giddy,and will show you his 1960's Ferranti electric meter,which fails to register a turn,with two rooms lit ;)

Yep,i would say old stock,but not old enough not to have that marking...

Funny,but i know a rake of people,who swore the would be stocking up on filament lamps,and balls to the EU or whoever,who now are 90% or more converted to LED :)

I have a pal,who gets all giddy,and will show you his 1960's Ferranti electric meter,which fails to register a turn,with two rooms lit ;)
it's just a way of getting around the law,,they only banned let's say 100 watt domestic lamps so saying they are not domestic is a way round the EU regs as it were ..british ingenuity.

it's just a way of getting around the law,,they only banned let's say 100 watt domestic lamps so saying they are not domestic is a way round the EU regs as it were ..british ingenuity.

There is a lot of "stick-in-the-mudness" going on,together with the great British stubborn streak (which is part of my genes,thankfully...)

The LED revolution,is a breath of fresh-air,and there is more to come.

I carried a 1 1/2 million candela weather proof wet-cell lamp around,in me Patrol for years,it was 2Kg of a lump,and was as handy for weight training,as spotting a wrong-un,250 meters away...

I now have a Ledlenser X7R which is brighter,has dimming options,and fits in a pocket :)

I am now filament-free,and can concentrate on me doggin.

Just spoken to Bell Lighting and they have confirmed it's to do with legislation. They have to advertise it as suitable for commercial and not domestic use. Though there is no reason it cannot be used in a domestic situation.

This banning the filament lamp gets a bit silly as the new lighting technologies cannot produce an alternative to the SES pigmy oven lamp and the quality and longevity of these lamps has gone down in recent years as the manufacture of filament lamps is reduced

Reply to Symbol on new lightbulb - Crossed through bulb? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back