Discuss Synchronization of two generators with different loads in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

There is a generator 1200 kw 60Hz and one generator 1000 kw 61Hz.
Can we connect them parallel?
More details required. what sort of Syncro equipment do you have, what plus or minus parameters are present with regards to frequency? Your profile has you listed as a Qualified Electrical Engineer, you should know the answers to your question.

More details required. what sort of Syncro equipment do you have, what plus or minus parameters are present with regards to frequency? Your profile has you listed as a Qualified Electrical Engineer, you should know the answers to your question.
The generators give power to ship. The load is 800 Kw but my problem is the 1Hz difference between the two

You could to run in to problems with reverse power relays.

I’ve synchronised rotary converters where you deliberately over speed the incoming set so it takes up load immediately. Close the busbar breaker at the wrong moment and it’s fireworks.

Caterpillar’s website has some useful information on frequency control.

Why is one of them 61Hz?
What sort of control units are in these generators, do they have load share capability built in to them?
Οne of this is shaft generator with constant speed from main engine 61 hz
The other one is main diesel generator with 60hz
Have load share in auto but in manual we can adjust the governo only of the main generator with a button low and increase

Well you're going to have to run both of them at the same frequency - it seems "odd" that they didn't setup the shaft generator to a standard frequency.
So you're going to have to run the DG at about 1.5% overspeed which is probably within it's specs* - but I hope no-one using the "mains" for any timing functions :rolleyes: And then you'll need control systems capable of allowing synch and closing of breakers without causing early fireworks - bonfire night isn't for a few weeks yet :oops:
* Changing between 50 & 60Hz is likely to require different camshaft and turbo disks to keep efficiency up.

Reply to Synchronization of two generators with different loads in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net