Discuss T&E in conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Doomed

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
When running surface mount T&E in offices and shops I have been in the habit of running it in conduit or mini trunking for the added protection.
Working along side another spark who asked why I bothered, he just clips direct along walls etc.
I realised that I could not remember why I started with the conduit etc, is it actually in the regs to protect surface mount T&E or is it just good practise?

Clipping the cable directly to the surface doesn't allow for mechanical protection. The only way to get around this is to clip in out of reach areas. If the installation requires mechanical protection by design (which almost all of them will) then surface containment will then be required.

Twin and earth that needs mechanical protection has to go into conduit or trunking, but apart from that, I would suggest the quality of your installs look much more professional than that which is just clipped direct. I wouldn,t change your method.

Clipping direct is for sheds and lofts, I use 20mm crush proof round conduit as it looks the dogs when it's finished and you could smack it with a hammer all day long. I'm struggling to think of a commercial setup where the cable wouldn't get damaged over time if just tacked on the wall. I suppose by the book it's ok but is the lazy option if you ask me

A while ago I put in a radial for a new combi boiler. The CU and boiler were bothe in the garage, so I took my T&E up the wall accross the roof joists and down the wall to the boiler FCU. On the drops I used white 20mm conduit

The plumber said, thats a waste of time init, every other spark i've used just clips it to the brick. Yeah but thats looks bobbins and offer no protection, I said to him.

Told the plumber if he wants quality electrical work doing, give me a call. Still doing work for him now, all because I used conduit to make the job look top class and safe

Reply to T&E in conduit in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net