Discuss T&E in mini trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

brav

-
Reaction score
Iv just been to look at a job in a cafe, the customer needs a cooker circuit and a radial adding the the installation, the 3 phase D-board is in the same room as where the two extra circuits will be.

All the circuits tht are already in this room, radial for boiler and radial sockets feeding fridges/freezers are pvc/pvc Twin&E in 25x16mm minitrunking.

The customer wants the two circuits i have to add in mini trunking, but im i allowed to use twin and earth in mini trunking and what Reference Method would tht apply to?

thks guys

Why would you not be allowed?

Providing you adjust your cable calcs accordingly then you will be fine.

Reference Methods can be found in the On-Site guide;) :thumbsup

That depends on what you use, my T&E sits on the shelf for much longer than my singles!

it will if you do mostly industrial , but if 90% of your workm is domestic, then it's the singles that will become home for the spiders.

it will if you do mostly industrial , but if 90% of your workm is domestic, then it's the singles that will become home for the spiders.

Tel,
Over 90% of my domestic work is in MT, however, I concede that it is a small percentage of my total work.
But I feel that for what I do it is more cost effective to use singles, no sleeving, no stripping of sheath, easier to run in, lighter to handle the drums, more flexible, I HATE solid conductors with a passion! ;)

Still there in my BGB (Table 4A2 from page 317) although it's defined as "cable trunking".

Which number were u looking at on page 317 mate? Number 8/9 Multicore cable in a cable trunking on wooden or masonary wall?

I was lead to believe Multicore Cable non-armoured they are talking about there, is the type used for extension leads etc, not Flat pvc/pvc twin and earth?

Also tht has a Reference Number 'B', table 4D5 doesnt have Ref Number 'B' as a choice? thks.

Last edited:
Table 4D2A (page 334). Multicore 70°C thermoplastic insulated and sheathed cables.

Reference Method B (enclosed in conduit on a wall or in trunking etc.​)

Tel,
Over 90% of my domestic work is in MT, however, I concede that it is a small percentage of my total work.
But I feel that for what I do it is more cost effective to use singles, no sleeving, no stripping of sheath, easier to run in, lighter to handle the drums, more flexible, I HATE solid conductors with a passion! ;)

so do i. would much rather work with conduit, trunking etc. than with T/E. unfortunately. in the present economic climate, you have to grab what work there is, and in my situation, most of that is domestic. YUK.

Table 4D2A (page 334). Multicore 70°C thermoplastic insulated and sheathed cables.

Agree with you Jud but in another page it says that mini trunking is still under review as a method? Clear as mud yet again.

Me and Tel had a debate about this a couple of months ago I think.

Thks Jud, but I think we must be getting crossed wires somewhere mate. I'm talking about flat twin and earth, 70'C thermoplastic insulated and sheathed flat cable with pc, Table 4D5 p340. Your talking about multicore 70'C thermoplastic insulated sheathed cable, 4D2A p334 which is the round flex cable used in things like kettle or extension leads. It's a different type of cable to flat T&E which is why they have separate pages. Also in the Green Unite book page 159 it says Table 4D5- Flat T+E? Thks

Thks Jud, but I think we must be getting crossed wires somewhere mate. I'm talking about flat twin and earth, 70'C thermoplastic insulated and sheathed flat cable with pc, Table 4D5 p340. Your talking about multicore 70'C thermoplastic insulated sheathed cable, 4D2A p334 which is the round flex cable used in things like kettle or extension leads. It's a different type of cable to flat T&E which is why they have separate pages. Also in the Green Unite book page 159 it says Table 4D5- Flat T+E? Thks

Tables 4F1A onwards (page 350) are for flexible cables.

T&E is still a Multicore thermoplastic insulated and sheathed cable.

Table 4D5 is the install methods for T&E in contact with thermal insulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tables 4F1A onwards (page 350) are for flexible cables.

Ahh! Thks mate, glad uve explained tht, im happy now knowing im doing something tht does comply. cheers

You'd think that the current carrying capacity for reference method C for both tables 4D2A and 4D5 would be the same in that case wouldn't you?
Unless the slight difference is due to flat versus round with flat being slightly better at dissipating heat?

The only consideration i'd have to using mini trunking (or PVC conduit to some extent) in a commercial kitchen, is on the environmental side of things. eg, ...routing to avoid heat damage, oil and grease build-up and the like!!! Which when you consider the usual abysmal overall installation workmanship of mini trunking systems can be considerable, ...a vermin's paradise!! lol!!

Reply to T&E in mini trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock