Discuss T&E under the floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Cab anyone help me with a reference method for T&E running under the floor in a domestic situation?

Also, I assume that the reference method applies to the method that describes/applies to the longest section of the run. I have a 1mm cable running on the surface (1 metre) from the CU, then through a ceiling into the floor above, running beneath the boards for about 2M, then up a service void, then over the ceiling (under insulation) to a joint box distributing to the lights.

I've boiled it down to B, D & C thus far using tables 4A2 & 4D5. But there are so many other general options :sick:

normally for cable calcs i would use the reference method of the longest part of the run but if it is running in insualtion i would use table 4D5 as this will account for the extra ambient temp and the fact it is a T&E.

Thanks, all :teeth_smile:

I had intended to use 101 as it accounts for the longest section of the run, but I just wondered - as I can't find a specific reference method for running under floorboards (other than in soil or cement troughs), what would be the closest method. In the case of a ring circuit, practically the entire run can be under a floor, and that might include running through holes/slots in the joists and being buried in deafening.

I think I'd say that's clipped direct...assuming the space is empty.
What do you mean "and being buried in deafening"?

i thought it was yhe worst case not the longest run i.e if it runs through insulation longer than 500mm then your correction factor is .5

Thanks, all :teeth_smile:

I had intended to use 101 as it accounts for the longest section of the run, but I just wondered - as I can't find a specific reference method for running under floorboards (other than in soil or cement troughs), what would be the closest method. In the case of a ring circuit, practically the entire run can be under a floor, and that might include running through holes/slots in the joists and being buried in deafening.

Under a floor I would say would be the same as installation method number 47 in 4A2 "in a ceiling void or suspended floor", reference method B.

i thought it was yhe worst case not the longest run i.e if it runs through insulation longer than 500mm then your correction factor is .5

I've been asked that one before, Kellogs. Much of Edinburgh (where I did of my time) has the roof/ceiling voids of the tenement flats filled with cinders which came from the Portobello coal-fired power station (long since gone now). This is called 'deafening' as it was supposed to muffle the sounds from the flat upstairs in the days when bare boards and linoleum were popular. Working down the way: you had the floor boards, then a layer of deafening, then the deafening boards, then the lathe and plaster ceiling of the house below.

It was murderous stuff to work with; it wasn't uncommon for the deafening to come to top of the joist so, in order to bore the joists and run the cable, you had to dig the stuff out and it could rip your hands to bits if you weren't careful.

Reply to T&E under the floor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock