Discuss 'TA'; Territorial Army, an island in Micronesia or what? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So I've gone from being 'esteemed' and 'respected' to just 'TA' which I assume means trusted advisor, although I am not sure why we have to be cryptic about it. People who want quick pointers on whose advice to trust are those outside the forum who don't know the contributors, who also won't know what 'TA' means.
Oddly, a poster from the USA gets badged as a 'USA advsior' (sic, it's misspelled on the badge) simply for being in the USA even if they post a lot of nonsense, whereas UK members have to work to earn a 'TA'.

BTW, what happened to that post 'quality' index that was going to drive the 'Esteemed' badge? Is it behind the TA or a discarded concept? I sort-of liked it up to a point, not least because I was good at it!

Maybe our USA Advsior (?) is high up in the US version of NIC, or has certificates coming out his ears to prove him worthy of the title?
We don’t know what they have disclosed to @Dan

There has been discussions on threads about removing or changing the badges.
I would hope people would take some of my advice with or without a “trusted advisor” or “Sparky God” badge

Sparky God! Dan!!!! Make it so :D

My reference was to a hypothetical 'USA Advisor', the point being that with traffic on that side of the forum relatively low at this stage, badge ownership is not highly contested and may be awarded to posters without an extensive, reviewed history of post accuracy, helpfulness and relevance.

I agree that ultimately it is the post content that counts and not the poster's badge collection, however for the newcomer who receives conflicting answers to their question (a very common occurrence) it is helpful to have some quick indicator of likely accuracy. For amusement, I once trawled a random set of threads ranking contributions purely on technical merit. IIRC about 1/3 of the advice and suggestions were wrong, misleading or irrelevant. I was not looking at individual contributors at first, until I noticed a few who gave out advice that was more often wrong than right, although in many cases it looked OK superficially.

So I've gone from being 'esteemed' and 'respected' to just 'TA' which I assume means trusted advisor, although I am not sure why we have to be cryptic about it. People who want quick pointers on whose advice to trust are those outside the forum who don't know the contributors, who also won't know what 'TA' means.
Oddly, a poster from the USA gets badged as a 'USA advsior' (sic, it's misspelled on the badge) simply for being in the USA even if they post a lot of nonsense, whereas UK members have to work to earn a 'TA'.

BTW, what happened to that post 'quality' index that was going to drive the 'Esteemed' badge? Is it behind the TA or a discarded concept? I sort-of liked it up to a point, not least because I was good at it!
I would agree that "TA" is far too cryptic and unlikely to be understood.

Do we need a Badges KEY page.
(I've still got the "Food -traffic light system " in my head -Green=Good .. I must be more hungry than realised )
RED - no alcohol for those "AA" memebers.

I have to agree that some of the advice given by our American advisers does contradict and add confusion to some posts that are pertinent to UK installations. If taken literally this advice could lead to serious injury by some inexperienced person following said advice in good faith.

I personally think that advisers should only be permitted to advise on matters that are within their specific knowledge set for their country of expertise.

It stands for Trusted Advisor. But I don't want newbies on the forum wanting it or trying to get it. It's a bit elitist.

I haven't finished with the groups yet to be fair. Need sort the forum categories out first, then those might need groups applying to them.

So the staff and I will decide where we go with that.

The esteemed that automatically gets dished out, broke. So I need to fix that. Not priority to be honest. But I'll get back on it.

Respected member changed to TA. And I removed a lot of users who trash the forum elsewhere or swear on here and loads of other reasons.

I remember when it was called Elite Member!! They used to vote for other members to come in each month!!!! Wouldn't get away with that these days.

So hang in there. It's just a badge on a website online at the end of the day don't lose sleep over it. We played on it a bit too much years ago I think. And it helped back then. But it developed a clique that was horrible for newbies to be near.

Ps there's only one "USA Advisor" for now. It is a test for me to apply settings to. And whilst I was in there I thought hmmm I'll apply a badge to that too perhaps. So that isn't quite finished yet either. I'll take your feedback on board and consider it when I'm messing with those settings again in a couple of weeks time.

PPS. I'm setting up a bug bounty soon. So you'd have been paid to point out that misspelled wording. Only a fiver Amazon voucher or something but still a reward perhaps.
[automerge]1567950611[/automerge]
dan ,can we not have superior advisors.
Pmsl.

Do you get it first?

*Takes a bow to the master
[automerge]1567950777[/automerge]
I would agree that "TA" is far too cryptic and unlikely to be understood.
It is intentionally like that. ? For now.

There is a better way to do all this somewhere. Need to clock where / what that is with the staff.

(I won't be discussing it with normal members regardless of their badge type etc - just too many opinions to get anything done)

Christ no. Not in your own posts, or even my posts. But within the forum system itself, maybe.

*Puts forum staff hat on

Please keep this thread on topic. It's quite an important one for those who have the tag. It's questionable as to whether people should even be replying who don't have it. Let alone sending it off on one about something else.

@Lucien Nunes and other people who had the Esteemed Tag. I'm taking a look into this now. And can't seem to find the issue as to why it's not processing. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the customisations a few times now, various ways, and it's just simply not parsing it like it did when it was working. Seems to have kicked in again on TilersForums by itself. So its some conflict somewhere that on that forum I've somehow indirectly fixed.

Leave it with me.

As for the other stuff, staff are discussing the way the TA goes long term. So we'll get back to you on that one asap.
[automerge]1568033657[/automerge]
It's back for some but not others. Seems to be conflicting with the TA badge now.

Still working on it. LOL!

Hate Mondays.

Last edited:
Okay. So the forum has decided all on its own that if you have the Trusted Advisor (TA) tag, you don't get to have the Esteemed Member tag too. So don't tell it I'm working out how to get around that in case it bans me or something. I'll have to commit a bit more time to this on a fresh head. It's blagging me to bits.
[automerge]1568042669[/automerge]
PMSL!!!! It has now dished them out properly!! I didn't even do anything!

I think the forum read my post and did it for me!

Just spotted Andy78 - https://www.electriciansforums.net/members/andy78.42946/ and then came here to check and it's working again!

I need to change the ratio a bit so it's a bit more rare, but I daren't change a setting anywhere yet. So I'll leave it as it is for now. But note this post if you lose it in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
It's automatically done on a rolling basis matey. I can pick a time of day on any day in the last few weeks and roll the whole forum back. Or just a page. Or just a database segment etc.

Thank god. I've needed it over the years. Lol

Reply to 'TA'; Territorial Army, an island in Micronesia or what? in the Need help with ElectriciansForums.net? area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock