Discuss tails in zone, run through wall without earthed conduit - OK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
Meter on internal garage wall, and CU just the other side internal to the house.

Currently there is no mechanical protection on the ex. tails where they go straight through the wall.

I need to fit replacement tails. Can I safely assume it's OK and normal provided that I keep them in zone where they are now (ie underneath the CU in this case), then earthed steel conduit through the wall not required? I would use plastic conduit to protect from whatever is inside wall.

As it's a garage and so a fire wall, I take it that 527.2.3 if a conduit is <= 30mm internal dia no no special fire rated sealing needed.

Edit: - I just realized (checked my pics from trip 1) that tails enter wall on the meter/garage side not lined up beneath the meter, about 150 mm off to the side. As wall is thicker than 100mm, then zone does not go through to other side, and hence unprotected tails technically not in zone when they enter wall from the meter cupboard. - Am I being pedantic?

Last edited:
earthe steel conduit is only required to protect cables buried in plaster. not for through the wall.

Hi Telectrix, that's good, I guess I had taken it before that "concealed in wall" would also be true if they were passing straight through (being concealed), as well as if they were running along under the surface.

That's very useful. Thanks. Makes life far easier.

if you think logically, the protection is to prevent someone drilling or nailing the cables. as they are horizontal through the wall, that's not gonna happen.

I had the same situation, except in reverse. Customer wanted a new CU, the old one was in the bottom of a kitchen unit on the wall, as well as the service head. On the other side of this wall was the garage, so I drilled a hole straight through for the new tails and were they came out on the other side, thats where the new CU went. Also had to extend the circuits but did this using an adaptable box, fixed to the wall were the old CU was.

Jay

Reply to tails in zone, run through wall without earthed conduit - OK? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net