Discuss Taisl & Earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

irishsailor

Current Regs state that that tails should be 25mm, however WPD recently fitted a Isolator and fitted 16mm tails. Is it acceptable practice for the tails to be uped to 25mm from the consumer end of isolater to the CU??

Also the supply is TNCS and the current Earthing conductor is 10mm, is it acceptable to put Henley block in and up the EC to 16mm

This in a domestic premise

Cheers

Chris

Current Regs state that that tails should be 25mm, however WPD recently fitted a Isolator and fitted 16mm tails. Is it acceptable practice for the tails to be uped to 25mm from the consumer end of isolater to the CU??

Also the supply is TNCS and the current Earthing conductor is 10mm, is it acceptable to put Henley block in and up the EC to 16mm

This in a domestic premise

Cheers

Chris
hi chris,
what size fuse is in the cutout. if its 60 amp then 16mm tails are fine. 100 amp and you need new 25mm tails from isolator. earthing conductor needs replacing from cutout in 16mm to new cu either way ;)

Re: Tail & Earth

Flukey

Thanks for your reply, It is 100A cutout so I agreed with what you said. So I will need to ask WPD to fit 16mm Earth. As I said they fitted the tails and fitted 16mm to the isolator. When questioned they stated that was all they fitted. So I will fit 25mm from consumer end to cover my back IAW wjth the Regs.

Thanks

Re: Tail & Earth

Flukey

Thanks for your reply, It is 100A cutout so I agreed with what you said. So I will need to ask WPD to fit 16mm Earth. As I said they fitted the tails and fitted 16mm to the isolator. When questioned they stated that was all they fitted. So I will fit 25mm from consumer end to cover my back IAW wjth the Regs.

Thanks
its down to you to fit the 16mm earth irish. as with the tails you are only concerned with consumers side of the isolator ;)

Mark

Thats what I wanted to know, is that acceptable practice for me to terminate the earth in Henley Block, and increase to 16mm form there, and get them to upgrade the earth

irish you can not touch the earth where it is connected into the service head you could terminate it in an earth block and put a bit of 16mm in to the cu and get wpd to replace thier bit
hi mark, if upgrading main earth i always connect straight into service head :eek:
is this a big no no then as i cant see the problem :confused:

Some cutouts do not have the facility to remove the main earth from it without removing the main fuse first.

Newer ones do have screws that can be accessed without removing anything.

Guys

Thanks for all the very helpful advice, I think I will cut the earth and put some block in and increase the size from there and contact the distributor to come and increase it from the service head, as looking at the current head it looks like it has only one access, so to be on the safe side.

Irish

will the distributor charge for this service :confused:

Guys

Thanks for all the very helpful advice, I think I will cut the earth and put some block in and increase the size from there and contact the distributor to come and increase it from the service head, as looking at the current head it looks like it has only one access, so to be on the safe side.

Irish
i would do the same irish if your service head hasnt got the little removable cover

Last edited:

Reply to Taisl & Earth in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock