Discuss Taking a perm live and neutral off the feed side of a three pole fan isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Eddiesparks

As in the title, when putting in a new set of lights in a house i ran the perm live, earth and neutral down to the switch then ran switched live and neutral up to the lights. Is this bad form? I know it's not unsafe. Just wondered if you thought it was rough. I thought it was industrious as I thought of it all by myself with no help from mummy and daddy!!

nothing wrong with it. sometimes a better way than 3 plating at lights if you have a load od downlights on one switch.

No, also makes it easier if you want to add another light on a separate switch as you have the feed so its easier and safer to work on your feet than above your head.

I was more talking about where i got the feed from (fan isolator) rather than the 'junction box at switch' thing. It's case by case really where you junction box isnt it in real life. All i learned was three plate pendants at college haha. Downlights only have a l e and n terminal (where does perm live go sir?)

if you fit downlights using line enclosures, you can do the perm L connections there, just like at a first light on a circuit. at the end of the day, either method is OK as long as circuit is installed in a safe manner, tested and confirmed to be installed according to bs7671.

The other plus to this, is some of these new fangled touch switches need a neutral to make them work. It will save digging the wall out in the future, and there will be a spare core if someone decides to two way it, if they dont want fancy switches.

Cheers.............Howard

The downside of looping at switch is simply the volume of conductors you can end up with in a back box - did one today that was loop in/out, 2 x 3c and 2 x S/L&N at a 2G - so that's a total of 20 wires to deal with just for two switches and in a dry lining box, too.

but in a deep enough box, it's easier to fault find than up a ladder where you need 3 hands.

if you fit downlights using line enclosures, you can do the perm L connections there, just like at a first light on a circuit. at the end of the day, either method is OK as long as circuit is installed in a safe manner, tested and confirmed to be installed according to bs7671.

Or click mode system

Reply to Taking a perm live and neutral off the feed side of a three pole fan isolator in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock